High Def TV connection questions (1 Viewer)

Underfunded

Portal Member
December 7, 2005
NH
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am planning on building my first htpc soon but want to be ready for the future too. I will be purchasing a HDTV in the next few months and will be going 1080p. Which video card will give me the best picture/performance. I will be watching tv, dvd's, music and playing 'some' games depending on how good it looks / works. I may use this as a gaming rig too, if it looks good. I don't need TOP of the line, but would like a good card.
What are your suggestions?
Thanks,
Ian.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Some of the 6600GTs come with native component out, but if your new tv has a DVI port that would be even better. 6200s will do the same job but apparently 6600gts are the minimum for a special type of de-interlacing.

Underfunded

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    NH
    Home Country
    So DVI from a vid card will support 1080p? Is a video card DVI connector usually DVI-I or DVI-D ?

Underfunded

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    NH
    Home Country
    Am i correct in that a dvi-d will work for both dvi-d AND dvi-i? So I may as well purchase a dvi-d cable?

Underfunded

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    NH
    Home Country
    wishywashy said:
    I went with a DVI to HDMI cable. It cost me US$100 but it allows me to go to 1080p and my video card only had s-video for it's TV output.

ok, so the dvi from your computer is allowing you to output as 1080p. that is good. what vid card do you have?

EDIT: nevermind. I see it in your sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom