Home Automation: Anyone use home assistant / hass.io (1 Viewer)

MikeBouy

Banned Users
September 25, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Kiwi,
Been a long time since I have been on the forums, but like you, I have just started with HassIO over the past couple of months, hence this is how I found your post.

I run MP1 throughout the house and have a Harmony Remote Hub running in the Lounge room to control my Setup.

Basically, I can ask Google Home to tell Harmony to turn TV On/Off/Mute/Unmute at the moment.This happens via the Harmony IR commands. However, HassIO monitors the current state of the Harmony remote and sends a shutdown command to the PC or WOL command to start PC up. This weekend I am setting up some Sonoff's with Tasmota firmware to allow me to control the Sub Woofer power, and will include that in the turn On/Off script.

Eventually I want Google Home to send commands directly to HassIO to control Harmony Hub, but taking baby steps first due to Wife Acceptance Factor.

I am looking into building a plugin for MP1 that would somehow integrate HassIO with with MP1 so you could eventually send commands via Google Home to control your HTPC.

this way you could control certain things of MP1 via the HassIO web Interface, which also meant controlling it via Google Home. Not sure how well this will go, as basically I have jsut started thinking about it and searching to see if anyone is already developing something already.

I am sure there is a lot of work here to be done to integrate the 2 together - if it is even possible, but maybe its worth a try.

Sean
You are absolutely right. This works(y)

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK - here's my initial thoughts on design after thinking about it for a few hours.

step 1 - Work on Direct control from Google Home/Assistant.
    *** create Activities within Google Home directly and Google Home will integrate via MPExtended. Eventually making this an App for all to use for their installs.

step 2 - maybe a MQTT plugin for MP1 that will also integrate with MPExtended or MP Directly to provide status updates back to HassIO on current MP Client activity and possible control for automations.

Gonna be a long track but hopefully we get somewhere with it.....

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    here is a question for the developers - to get MQTT working, I am looking at using the basic log file in debug mode to produce the events needed to allow notifications of the MP1 Status of where it currently lies.

example:for titan extended

movies main menu - [2018-12-16 22:51:32,827] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Window: MediaPortal.Plugins.MovingPictures.MainUI.MovingPicturesGUI init
    home - [2018-12-16 22:53:56,091] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Window: WindowPlugins.home.GUIBasicHome init
    TV Home - [2018-12-16 22:59:09,426] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Window: TvPlugin.TVHome init
    tuuring tv on - [2018-12-16 22:59:09,524] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - tv home init:TEN HD
    watching TV - [2018-12-16 22:59:12,902] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - tv home init:TEN HD done
    change channel [2018-12-16 23:03:43,052] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Channel change:9HD Sydney
    in mini guide - [2018-12-16 23:11:37,924] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - WindowManager: route TvPlugin.TvFullScreen:602->TvPlugin.TvMiniGuide:3009
    mini guide cjange - TVHome.ViewChannelAndCheck(): View channel=7mate

Now is this a big no-no since there seems to be no other way I am aware of Also what MP2, is there are way to to implement this without using the log files?

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I know I'm 'out there' but HomeSeer integrates with Google Home directly - a lot less fuss and interfacing to it is a LOT easier (and more secure than most IoT things) it's stupidly flexible. OK, it costs money but it really is worth it in my view. I have a fee Android app which allows you to control it (voice or typing/selecting)

I freely admit I know zero about MQTT (or even IFTTT) but I've never needed it!

Good luck!

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Just installed a Home Assistant, tell me what already works in conjunction with Mediaportal, and any other information. Maybe who connected the Home Assistant with WiFiRemote, etc. :)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    For now I'm using EventGhost as a go-between for Home Assistant and MediaPortal.
    How its work? Need install EventGhost server? MQTT server? And then connect it to HA?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Made a plugin for MQTT so far only displaying some information. I'll see if I need to add control and additional information.
    If anyone is interested, tell me, I will open a new topic.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I would certainly be interest.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think this is a brill idea. Have tried
    Domoticz and openHAB 3

but have decided on Home Assistant because of the volume of updates and contributors.

Media Portal 2 has also been my choice after years of Kodi & MP1, so if there's any chance of this type of interface for MP2 I would love to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom