Horizontal sub menus on BasicHome (1 Viewer)

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
June 19, 2007
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey all,

Im wondering wether a horizontal submenu can be done? I think the motion of going vertically to main menu item, then left to enter submenu, then up and down again seems convoluted from a UI POV.

And in that way the main menu item does also appear to be an item, as opposed to a heading.

I think the horizontal menu should fade in when the main item is selected, and then scroll both directions, and loop as well (i.e at end of items, append front of list to the end (i.e aeon style menu).

Im undecided as to wether to put half the items each side of the main item, or all on one side..??

If this isnt the default, can it be an option, is it being worked on? Can someone with some skills make a mod for this?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1, one of the main things i don't like about maya is the home screen. Everything else I like a lot and I think I will like Maya iFX even more. I really think the home screen could look a lot nicer!

J

joostzilla

+1, one of the main things i don't like about maya is the home screen. Everything else I like a lot and I think I will like Maya iFX even more. I really think the home screen could look a lot nicer!

Ive been playing with the homescreen (just concept sketches so please dont diss it immediately :D )
    There are a lot of hurdles to take but i personally like it!

Attachments

• Maya Basichome v4 concept.jpg
      Maya Basichome v4 concept.jpg
      241.9 KB
    • Maya Basichome v4 concept_1.jpg
      Maya Basichome v4 concept_1.jpg
      258.2 KB

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What are those symbols supposed to do? Please do not place icons for weather and so on on home screen...that is what I absolutely dislike on the other skins.
    But horizontal submenus would be neat I think.

J

joostzilla

What are those symbols supposed to do? Please do not place icons for weather and so on on home screen...that is what I absolutely dislike on the other skins.
    But horizontal submenus would be neat I think.

Thats funny, I hate horizontal submenus. They go against everything thats logic for menus. Imho.
    The icons represent the selection. Only the most obvious should be used. So that you do not have to guess. On most user interfaces of smart phones etc its very common to make selections through icons. So why not on the home screen? I am not talking about text + hovering icons though. Just icons.

Sorry to hear you dislike this concept though :(

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i like your concept, but not quite there yet... not sure if I have any good suggestions at the mo.

EDIT: maybe i'd prefer mini icons above + below... maybe they go in a 3d fading / getting smaller curve? altho that might not match the rest of the maya skin... hmmm...

J

joostzilla

i like your concept, but not quite there yet... not sure if I have any good suggestions at the mo.

EDIT: maybe i'd prefer mini icons above + below... maybe they go in a 3d fading / getting smaller curve? altho that might not match the rest of the maya skin... hmmm...

So many possibilities, so many choices to make. :D

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Although I dislike icons just go ahead and try it out, maybe there is a possibility to get them fitting to the whole maya concept. We can discuss about it once there are real screenshots.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    metalla_nz: I think you are talking about navigation like in the Windows Media Center software right ;)?
    But yeah i would like to see something like that as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom