How 2: Automatically Import Inserted DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
I'm new to Moving Pictures plugin. I saw the option "Automatically Import Inserted DVDs" on the Import tag of the Config window.

I would like to know for what "type" of DVDs it is and how it "should" work?

I have backed up my DVDs to other DVDs as multiple .avi files. First to save HDD space and second to have "less" discs to shuffle. Now I would like to know if it is possible to "Import" the movies of these types of DVD's? I thought at start that this "automatic" option is only for DVD Movies like my Originals. So I tried to add my DVD-Drive to the Import list, but a noticed popped up showing: "This type of media is handled through the "Automatically Import..." option.

So I read a few post on this site indicating that the other users "expected" that option to kick in when MediaPortal is running. Thus I ran my MediaPortal, and while on the Home Screen inserted one DVD... nothing happend... so I choose "Play Disc" and then Media Portal reported that I should "insert a disc" which is kind of weird, but maybe it is also expecting a DVD Video. So I went to the "Moving Pictures" plugin and while it is open inserted the disc again, but still nothing happend.

So I have no idea how to use this function or if it would be possible to use my backup DVDs.

I would like to be able to add all my backup DVDs and then when I try to play one, Media Portal should indicate the disc to insert. I have named all my backup DVDs in numerical order so they each have a unique disc name for this.

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
By accident I figured out how one part of this function works. After visually finding duplicates movies on the Database tab, I switched back to the Importer tab. And what do you know! It actually imported and listed the 4 movies on my DVD that I left in the DVD drive.

So it would seem that if you leave the Config window open long enough it will finish scanning the shares and eventually add the DVD that is loaded.

After this initial wait, I was able to load each DVD into the drive, and the Importer would fetch the info of each movie on the DVD even before Windows autostart has decide what content is on the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom