How are channel names determined? (1 Viewer)

blich

Portal Member
January 21, 2008
I'm using an HDHomerun Prime and was curious how the channel names are determined.

For example, I see "PIVOT 231 formerly Halogen" for one of my channels. Does this come down from the CableCard itself?

Also, what does it mean when there are two channel numbers e.g. "KWDK 18,234"? Does it mean that there are two channels that are combined into 1?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I'm using an HDHomerun Prime and was curious how the channel names are determined.
    For example, I see "PIVOT 231 formerly Halogen" for one of my channels. Does this come down from the CableCard itself?
    They come from the tuner's forward data channel service... which is to say that I believe they come from the CableCARD, which in turn gets them from your cable provider via the cable headend's out-of-band channel.

Also, what does it mean when there are two channel numbers e.g. "KWDK 18,234"? Does it mean that there are two channels that are combined into 1?
    Sorry, I have no idea where you're reading this so I don't think I can answer. However from the "KWDK" I might guess you're looking at a channel name... and if that were correct, I can't give you an answer. From our perspective the channel names are "opaque" - we get the from the tuner/CableCARD, and we save them in our database. That is all we know. Any formatting or patterns that may or may not exist in the names are entirely in the control of the cable provider (...unless the name is "Unknown...", which is a pattern we use when we can't get the name).

Regards,
    mm

blich

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    The "KWDK 18,234" is the channel name (displayName in the database) that's showing in the EPG.

I'd like to update the displayName in the database to the name that's in the tvguide.xml. Will this break anything if I do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom