How are people configuring for interlaced displays? (2 Viewers)

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
I have arrived at an excellent picture quality now! Short summary of what I did below.

Watching my CRT from half a meter, and comparing against the direct from antenna connection I can see that I am still lacking some sharpness, but this is not visible at my standard viewing distance. Hints appreciated though. I'm trying to locate some content on the net to evaluate if this is the capture card or the gfx card.

This actually marks the start of a new era in our TV watching. We first tried a TV card back in 1997. Sadly, picture quality was horrible, but amusingly deinterlacing was our problem back then as well - and far worse than we experienced now. As from today we will watch all our TV through MediaPortal.

My equipment:
- analog cable
- htpc with Hauppage 500 and ATI X800
- CRT connected through S-Video as primary and only display.

Main goal:
- good TV quality
- as broadcast content is interlaced avoid deinterlacing in PC
- 50Hz output from gfx card (this is important as a 60Hz output frequency would make 50Hz content with motion look strange)

Achieved through:
- used Powerstrip to set PAL resolution with refresh rate of 50Hz, had to make it a so called "custom setting" which is somehow locked for other apps to change.
- in ATI calyst set my CRT as primary, set signal to PAL and checked "enable video mode" (just picked that up somewhere a long time ago). I kept deinterlacing at auto-detect here.
- in MP setup for the MPV decoder I chose Bob as deinterlace method although I could probably have kept it at Auto. I have no idea what "set interlaced flag for output" is. I did also increase brightness and contrast half a step and increased saturation a quarter of a step. This made my picture better than using the settings provided by the "TV defaults" button.
- in MP setup I set my encoder filter to be of high quality
- in MP setup I set the capture card to use high default quality. I did not check the "use quality control", don't know what it is supposed to do.
- in MP setup I kept the television deinterlace mode to none. Not sure what this setting controls, but maybe it is possible to make the capture card deinterlace through this, I don't want that.

Lars E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom