How do I create a group with movie series together (e.g. Superman 1,2,3 etc.) (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

I am wanting to create a group of movies that moving pictures will display together for movies that are in a series like the superman series. I would like to set up criteria so that moving pictures does this automatically. I am thinking of the way MP3 files work using the ID3 tag to provide information to a player for proper display and grouping.

Is there a way to do this with moving pictures? It seems that the only info that moving pictures can use is what is in a title. Currently my titles for my movies are changed to standard titles by a program called The Renamer.

Is there a way to do what I need using .nfo files? Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way and there is another solution.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-S

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First option would be to create categories for those movies, but that means they'll be in separate sections.
    2nd option would be to use the IMDb+ plugin scraper. This scraper has the option to group movie series together and even renames the titles in the database so they show up together in the list.

I personally use the IMDb+ plugin, it's really nice ;)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks HomeY. I got the plugin and it renamed everything correctly, but is there a way to display only movies that are in a series? Do I need to create a custom category? How would I set the filter for the category?
    -S

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Thanks HomeY. I got the plugin and it renamed everything correctly, but is there a way to display only movies that are in a series? Do I need to create a custom category? How would I set the filter for the category?
    -S

You can create a custom category for that, with the following rules (and main setting set to 'Any')

Title -- "Ends With" -- " I"
    Title -- "Contains" -- "I: "
    Title -- "Contains" -- "V: "
    Title -- "Contains" -- "X: "

This will catch all the IMDb+ series.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Currently my titles for my movies are changed to standard titles by a program called The Renamer.
    I used to use the renamer, but recently changed to filebot. It's made by a MP forum member and it's more powerful and less fussy about filenames, eg. the renamer fails on filenames like ("seriesname.1of8.releasegroup.avi" or "Season 1/01seriesname.avi"

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    -S

You can create a custom category for that, with the following rules (and main setting set to 'Any')

Title -- "Ends With" -- " I"
    Title -- "Contains" -- "I: "
    Title -- "Contains" -- "V: "
    Title -- "Contains" -- "X: "

This will catch all the IMDb+ series.

Just a follow up. This worked 99.9% so thanks. Funny thing is that it also captured "The Big Lebowski" I guess lower and upper case are treated the same.

Thanks for the help.
    -S

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Just a follow up. This worked 99.9% so thanks. Funny thing is that it also captured "The Big Lebowski" I guess lower and upper case are treated the same.

Did it remove the prefixed space on that when you added it? Because that "Ends With" entry needs to be " I" as in "<space>I". But it might have added it by trimming the space, which would be a bug in MovPic then I guess.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country

Did it remove the prefixed space on that when you added it? Because that "Ends With" entry needs to be " I" as in "<space>I". But it might have added it by trimming the space, which would be a bug in MovPic then I guess.

I checked it and it was entered " I" as in "<space>I". So I guess it is a little bug?
    -S

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I checked it and it was entered " I" as in "<space>I". So I guess it is a little bug?
    -S

Yeah, please report this at the Google code project site for MovingPictures. Somewhere at code level it must do the trim then I guess, but that leads to wrong results in your case. You could of course fix it for now with dirty workaround and that is to add an exclude-this-movie entry for "The Big Lebowski", but then it is waiting for the next movie that ends in an 'i'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom