How do i decrease the volume step percentage? (1 Viewer)

Bob1nz

Portal Member
March 3, 2009
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Maya
Windows Version: Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz
HDD: Seagate 160Gb Hitachi 1Tb
Memory: 2Gb DDR2
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 0A54h
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Video Card Driver: 8.821.0.0
Sound Card: SB 5.1 VX
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.00.0001.6293
1. TV Card: AverMedia A825 USB Dual DVB-T
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 8.0.0.26
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: HP MCE
TV: Philips 29" wide CRT
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA to RCA (Through converter box)

Hi Have just come back to media portal after using 7MC for a while but got fed up with its inability to present my movie collection in a timely fashion.

My question is this.
Is there a way to reduce the percentage of volume change.
i think by default it only has 15 steps from 0 - full volume. from what i can gather vista and 7 look after volume differently from XP, hence why the options are disabled in the settings, but there must be a file somewhere that i can go in and manually adjust the settings. i would really like to have it similar to 7mc and have 50 steps (increase or decrease by 2%) as im finding that going from having the volume turned completely down and pushing volume up once the step is too big. i would like to have more control over the volume.
if anyone could tell me how to do this or which file to look in to change it or even if there is a plugin to do the job that would be great :)

Also as a side question is there a way to change the look of the Volume OSD?

Bob1nz

Portal Member
March 3, 2009
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
ok well I got impatient and have found a workaround.

basically i wanted more control over my volume so what i did was

turned off the default volume osd in media portal config
removed the mapping for the volume up, volume down and mute buttons in the Remote control section of media portal config
set media portal to full volume in the windows 7 mixer

now when i use the volume buttons on the remote its controlling the master volume so it gives me 0 - 100 for volume
but i wanted the volume osd too so i googled a bit and found this RedShadow's VolumeOSD

I went through and had a muck around with the script he had made (he has given permission to do this) as by default the osd is center screen and i wanted it top right.

in the script you can set the volume step percentage (i set it to 2% which gives me 50 clicks from 0 to full volume) and other various options and it also allows you to edit the skin and a few other effects.

as this was for a dedicated machine I just set it to run at startup.

the end result is me being able to have more control over my htpc's volume with a nice looking osd right throughout mediaportal.

just thought id share what iv done incase anyone else was looking for a similar solution.

if anyone wants help with this let me know and il try my best :)

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been looking for this! Hope it works. I only don't know if I can remap my gyration remote?! Will give it a try!

Bob1nz

Portal Member
    March 3, 2009
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    for me i just push the mute button on my MCE remote and this mutes the sound in win7 the script for the osd doesnt listen for a mute button so it doesnt show that the volume is muted unless you have turned the volume to zero.
    i could have a bit more of a muck around with the script to see if i can put this in?

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    for me i just push the mute button on my MCE remote and this mutes the sound in win7 the script for the osd doesnt listen for a mute button so it doesnt show that the volume is muted unless you have turned the volume to zero.
    i could have a bit more of a muck around with the script to see if i can put this in?

Guess I responded too early. My mute button and volume button work anyway. I normally use the General HID in the MP remote config. This controls the volume of MP itself. When I disable this, my volume buttons control the master volume. So I guess this should work perfectly. I will try this week to get everything up and running!

:D

Bob1nz

Portal Member
    March 3, 2009
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Im happy that this has helped you
    basically all this does is take the volume control away from media portal and gives it to the system/script to handle as it gives a bit more control then what media portal currently does. although not an ideal solution, it works.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Bob1nz

How do you change the position of the volume OSD? I want it to be in the top-middle area. Can you help me?

:D

Bob1nz

Portal Member
    March 3, 2009
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeah you need to go into the src folder from the zip you downloaded

find the file VolumeOSD.ahk and open it in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ (not word or wordpad)

look for the line that says
    Code:
    Gui, 1:Show, NoActivate Center
    and change it to
    Code:
    Gui, 1:Show, NoActivate XCenter Y50
    this will tell the OSD to be centered along the x axis (width of screen) and 50pixels along the y axis (height of screen) i have mine set to X980 Y50 so it shows in the top right of my screen.

after you have done that save the .ahk file then in the src folder there is a program called Ahk2Exe run this program and it will ask for your source file which is the .ahk you have just saved and a destination for the output exe file.
    what this program does is makes the script an executable file so what i did was put the destination in the bin folder and gave it a name different to the VolumeOSD.exe already in there (eg vosdtopcenter.exe)
    The reason for doing this is the exe file will look for the skin folder as that has the properties of how your osd will look.

so after you have chosen the source and destination for the Ahk2Exe simply click "convert" and it should create the new exe file where you chose and it should be as simple as running it.

sometimes i found the conversion failed when this happened i just deleted any exe files id made and the .ini files associated and ran it again. i dont know why this happened but it seemed to work.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oh yeah, I found a bug. Sometimes the volume OSD wont display. When I interact with another window, or when I resume from from sleep (MP restarts at resume), then I sometimes cannot see the Volume OSD.

Is there a way to get it always on top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom