How do i handle the EPG for 2XDVB-T & 2XDVB-S2? (1 Viewer)

mbc0

Portal Member
March 4, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the UK and I currently only have my 2 DVB-T tuners configured at the moment after trying to use the internet based EPG import I was finding that alot of the channels had the wrong information.. I scrapped all that & started again but this time did not setup the web based epg & instead the epg data is pulled from the aerial (only 7 days I know but at least it is working accurately) Is it possible for DVB-S2 to get EPG data via satellite (I guess it must be as the sky box used to do this) but how do I do this in MP?

Cheers

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi MBC0,

I have a mix of tuners (2 x dual DVB-T and 1 x dual DVB-S/S2) and have a fully populated EPG. I did try the Web EPG but could never get it working properly. I did settle on a modified version of MP by a forum member Miroslav. It grabs all the Sky EPG data and uses this for the Series link recording facility. The EPG covers only 7 days, but this is a limitation on the Sky data and not MP. I have been using his mod for about 18 months now and it works great.

It is not the only way to do it, others use the Web EPG successfully and others use a plugin called 4 The Record (4TR) which is a very comprehensive web-based EPG and recording plugin.

The thread relating to Miroslav's modified MP is >>here<<

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    First of all, I presume you have combined the common channels on the DVB-S and DVB-T tuners using the "combine" tab in the TV Server Config: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...r_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/1_Combinations

My tip would be to select your DVB-T tuner in the drop-down box (because DVB-T has far less channels and less repeat channels) and then picking the channel to combine with on the right (which will be from your DVB-S tuner.

Now use the XMLTV GUI plugin: XmlTv - MediaPortal Wiki I use this: XMLTV GUI to grab EPG data from Radiotimes and then store it in the MediaPortal\TVServer\XMLTV directory. You can then map individual channels to the downloaded data (it will do a pretty good auto-match for you if you ask it).
    Then use DVB-EPG to fill the gaps (channels not inlcuded in RadioTimes): DVB EPG - MediaPortal Wiki . You will need to search through the Radio channels (I know this doesn't seem right, but trust me) where you will find a channel called something like "Freesat EPG" (or something with EPG in it - actually there will be two, one for DVB-T and the other for DVB-S). Make sure you put a tick in the box associated with these EPG radio channel, and then put a tick in all the TV channels (and/or radio channels) that you want to grab EPG data for. If you are using this option, you will need to make sure the the "CRC Check" option is unticked (because this causes problems with UK EPG data). I find that the option to grab data when timeshifting/recording is the best option and I would not bother with the grab whilst idle option. It can take some time to get the data, but it will come down as you are watching TV.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Hi mbc0

I am successfully using a combination of DVB-T and DVB-S2 over the air EPG.

Simply set up the EPG as shown in the screenshots below.

• Radio EPG: Select Freesat Info + any DVB-T only radio stations. Select ENG language and ensure 'Store only for the selected channels' is unselected.
    • TV EPG: Select only the DVB-T only TV channels. Select ENG language and ensure 'Store only for the selected channels' is unselected.
    • Enable one DVB-T and one DVB-S2 card for EPG grabbing.
    • If you have any problems check that your Freesat info details are correct as shown in the screenshot attached.
      Radio EPG.png
      TV EPG.png
      Freesat info.png

mbc0

Portal Member
    March 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Many many thanks for your details replies guys, I really appreciate it!!

Can I just ask when I combine channels does it combine both dvb-t's with both dbb-s's?

Cheers

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Yes, Robbo's suggestion of selecting the dvb-t in the drop down on the combine channels screen is the easiest way. Just go through them from top to bottom and where the channel is also on the dvb-s you can combine then. Be aware that not all dvb-t channels are available on freesat though.

Also, don't combine with the red encrypted dvb-s channels. I only did this because I used miroslav's sky epg for a while. If you are using the over the air freesat then you don't need to do this.

Finally, I would recommend prioritising the tv cards so that the dvb-t are priorities 1 and 2 and the dvb-s is priority 3. That way the dvd-s card won't get used first when recording channels such as bbc1 which are also on dvb-t and then it will be free for all the dvb-s only channels.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to add a little more to Erichzanns excellent post - be aware that when combining the channels some of the DVB-T channels are named slightly differently from its corresponding DVB-S channel, and it may not appear at the top of the 'match' list - you may possibly have to scroll down a bit. Additionally, when combining your BBC One & ITV1 channels you will have to make sure you match your DVB-T channel with the regional one from DVB-S

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Can I just ask when I combine channels does it combine both dvb-t's with both dbb-s's?

No, all DVB-S/S2 channels are automatically combined across DVB-S/S2 tuners and the same for DVB-T/T2. You just need to do the combine once to link differing tuner types.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I have a DVB-S2 tuner and a DVB-T2 tuner and WebEPG works fine for most channels. Some just aren't supported via WebEPG but they're usually the crappy channels no-one watches.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    I've just installed 1.3 Beta and EPG grabbing is going great using erichzann's method - no more messing around with customdatagrabber (which I never got working so that it was 100% stable).

It's a bit cheeky but is there any chance anyone has a file I can import for channel combining and grouping? I'm using a Black Gold BGT3600 (dual DVBS2 / dual DVBT2) and am in central London.

Or is there an easier way to do it than going through the whole lot and combining them manually? Or is there any way to update matching algorithm?

Yes I'm being a bit lazy but... it's Christmas! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom