How do I install the Kodi TVServer plugin (1 Viewer)

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
I reviewed instructions on how to install the Kodi TVServer plugin as follows:

To install this TVServer plugin:

• Download the zipfile below
  • Stop the 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (cmd: net stop MP2-Server)
  • Copy the Release\TVServerKodi.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\Plugins
  • Start the 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (cmd: net start MP2-Server)
  • Open the 'MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration' tool and enable the 'TVServerKodi' plugin under plugins
  • Stop and start the 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' again to load the plugin
When I downloaded the zip file I got a TVServer Kodi 1.20.0.140.mpe1
My computer does not have a unzipper that recognises this archive. How do I get at the DLL to copy to the location as instructed above?

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thanks that worked.

When I zipped down the DLL had a long code in brackets in its name so I renamed that back to just TV-ServerKodi.DLL and followed the copy and install instruction which worked.

Now the PVR add-in is enabled in Kodi but it still cannot run live TV with Kodi complaining it cannot access a folder on the Media Portal server. The error only flashed for a moment so I could not see the full path.
Do you know what folder permission I need to set on which folder?

Do I need to change the account that starts the TV-service and if so what account should I use?

What are the prerequisites for other PCs and tablet on my LAN to use Kodi to fully access MP2 Server to view Live TV, view Recordings and set Recording schedules?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The MP1 Version of the TVServerKodi Plugin did not work in MP2 as MP2 is using a different database engine. You can download a proper version from, the homepage of this plugin:
    Kodi - TVServerKodi

or you can use my self compiled "unofficial" versions from this post:
    Kodi TV Plugin for various MP2 versions...

Note. If the TVServerKodi plugin version did not match the MediaPortal version you will have no TV in Kodi! In SetupTV the plugin looks active and working but you can not access TV from within Kodi. You need to download and install the proper version of the plugin for your MP version...

The installation is pretty simple. Stop MP2 server, extract the .zip archive and copy the "TVServerKodi.dll" to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\Plugins\

or on 32 Bit Windows copy it to:
    C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\Plugins\

Then start MP2 server again and you're good to go.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The error only flashed for a moment so I could not see the full path.
    Missed this, sorry. For Kodi to work properly you need to share the recordings and timeshift folders. This can be set from inside the SetupTV app in the TVServerKodi plugin section...
    Not at home right now so I can't show a screenshot.

Charlie TV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

This is the configure screen on the MP side

upload_2019-2-4_19-14-11.png

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I set up shares for the recordings and time shift folders using the suggested UI from inside the SetupTV app in the TVServerKodi plugin section. I checked in Windows to see thart the shares were there and manually stopped and restarted the MP2-Service,

With this in place I stopped getting the connections lost errors messages in Kodi and it loaded up the schedules on start-up like it does when it detects a live PVR client. It looked like we were in business but when I select any channel it spins up the revolving Working Message for 5 seconds and stops without any error message. No TV streams and no sound is heard. It is the same when you try to playback a recording.

I checked another laptop running Kodi and it was the same on both. I reenabled the MythTv PVR client and kodi connected to our Ubuntu Myth box an run live TV immediately on the same network segment.

I checked the firewall settings on the MP2 Server and all looks in order. I temporally disabled the firewall and rechecked Kodi but it still showed the same problem symptoms.

Can you advise what else needs to be done to use Kodi to access the MP2 Server?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Can you advise what else needs to be done to use Kodi to access the MP2 Server?
    The scenario you described tells me the connection between MP2 and Kodi is working as expected. If it wasn't you would not have any EPG or whatever. The remaining issues are to find solely on the Kodi side. And as the MP PVR Addon is a completely different thing than the MythTV PVR Addon you can not say, the one is working so the other has to work too.. They are completely different things...

There are various options to find inside the Kodi PVR Addon settings playback section. Depending on your system you may need to select one or the other here. You only can get the correct ones by "try and error". My Kodi systems are working with default settings, but this must not be valid for yours.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Lehmden

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try some of them.

Else i'll port one of the tuners to the Myth box and decommission the MP2 Server.
    Unfortunately more recent of the Fusion DVB the PCIe dual express 2 recognised by Windows does not work with Myth but the older single Fusion does so it can work with the other dual card already in the myth box.

We were hoping for a five tuner and two streaming source option for our home but problems with MP2 have made this idea problematic. We can run with 3 tuners with MythTv as this has been far more stable and a better performer.

Thanks anyway for your assistance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom