[solved] How do I specify a DiSEqC switch AND a 22 kHz tone switch with a DVB-S2 satellite card? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I only have access to the contact form requests if they're posted internally for general team access.

I've PM'd you...

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Problem solved.

PLEASE NOTE that this post ONLY applies for users in North America. If you live elsewhere in the world this probably does not apply to you. Before I begin, a huge THANK YOU to mm1352000 for his assistance in getting this working!

Recommendation:

low LOF = 5150
    high LOF = 10750
    switch = 7000

This turned out to be a big part of the solution, but just keep in mind that if you use this and also use a tone switch in your configuration then you can only use C-band dishes on the "off" side of the tone switch and Ku-band dishes on the "on" side of the tone switch. Note that only applies if a tone switch is used in conjunction with any DiSEqC switch port - if you don't have a tone switch between the DiSEqC switch and the LNB then you can use either a C or Ku band LNB on that DiSEqC port. For those in North America who don't understand why this is the case, as I didn't, I have read that this is some kind of European thing - apparently over there they have "Universal" Ku band LNB's that can send either of two frequency bands depending on whether the 22 kHz tone is present or not. But here is the important thing, even if you don't have a single tone switch in your system, the above settings can keep MediaPortal from defaulting to the wrong frequency band (Universal, which we don't use in NA) when you add a channel manually. Why the channel editor doesn't let you pick a band for each channel you add is beyond me, but it doesn't, and apparently the default is Universal which is almost never correct for users in North America (maybe if you are aiming at a bird low on the horizion over the Atlantic or Pacific ocean, but even then I'm not sure). But also, because a band is not specified, some essential information is apparently not sent to the tuner when changing channels, so you see other weirdness. Using mm1352000's recommendation fixes that.

The other thing was that on the one bird I was scanning that had essentially duplicate transponders (but NOT duplicate programming) at two different frequencies, I had deal with that separately. I won't go into that now because the way I did it might not have been the best way for everyone, but it worked for me so I'm happy. But I would suggest that at some point the MediaPortal team ought to give some consideration to the fact that, at least in North America, just because there appears to be the same channels on two different transponders does NOT mean they carry the same programming. I'm almost thinking that maybe there should be a checkbox somewhere in the setup for a "North American option" and if you check that, Media Portal would NEVER assume that a channel that appears to be a duplicate really is a duplicate, because on this side of the big pond that is NEVER true (at least not with any Free-To-Air feed that I have ever encountered), and also it would never default to Universal when you add a channel manually. Because Free-To-Air in North America is in some ways quite different from in Europe and other parts of the world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom