How do you arrange your movies on disk (1 Viewer)

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Have about 3.5tb worth of movies about half and half HD and Divx/Xvid, about 700 total and the easiest way for me is to just put them in 1 folder.
    I have 7 hdd's right now and they each just have a folder named movies with all of the movies in it, then 1 more hdd for just tv shows.
    I dont see the point in putting them in folders really.

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The point of using folders for me is the ability to store folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg for each movie with the movie.
    It just seems the most efficent and neat way to do it.
    You could of course store these images in a folder with all the movie files in it, naming them after each movie and so on.
    And i'm considering renaming my movie files to their imdb id to further speed up database building.
    Since then the importer cannot mistake the movie files for another title in any way.

flyte

Portal Pro
    November 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    And i'm considering renaming my movie files to their imdb id to further speed up database building. Since then the importer cannot mistake the movie files for another title in any way.

Yeah I find myself doing a manual refresh from the importer and simply putting the imdb ID in there.

Here's a suggestion...

Instead of renaming every movie scene filename as you get it, in the movie's directory perhaps place a simple .txt file that contains the imdb ID and the importer could be smart enough to look at this txt and fetch the ID from it. Akin to the old file_id.diz files.

That way, you just download the movie with all of the shit in the filename.. plop a single text file in the directory and then you're off -- importer does the rest.

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Instead of renaming every movie scene filename as you get it, in the movie's directory perhaps place a simple .txt file that contains the imdb ID and the importer could be smart enough to look at this txt and fetch the ID from it. Akin to the old file_id.diz files..

This is already supported and is called the NFO scanner:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/nfo-scanner-explained-issues-45593/

The modern variant of the file_id.diz is *.nfo but any text based file will do.

Davio

Portal Member
    December 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have about 400 movies stored on an external hard-drive like this:

Movies\Animation
    Movies\Classics
    Movies\Comedy
    Movies\Drama
    Movies\Documentary

etc...

Every folder has a subfolder called 'subtitles' where the subtitles go.

Every movie is named as close to their IMDb name as possible with it's release year in parantheses.
    No NFO's or folder.jpgs however.

I was once looking for a prog that can rename my movies based on their data from IMDb, tried various apps, but no luck.

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Its been suggested in google code to make Moving pictures rename files according to database fields. Very good idea, a plugin that actually can help you clean your files. As far as i know no other plugin does this. Would really put moving pictures as the #1 movie plugin of all time.

Issue 230 - moving-pictures - Google Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom