How do you organise your music collection for the best visuals?

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by ramyad, November 30, 2011.

1. ramyad

ramyad Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I think my structure works on an organisational level but not for a visual treat in MP.

My folder structure of my CD's when I ripped them is like this, and I haven't really had to change it:

[Artists name] > [Album name] > Songs

For multi CD's:
    [Artists name] > [Album name] > [CDx] > Songs

So as you can see, my songs are atleast two folders down. But it looks terrible in MP compared to my MovingPictures and MyAnime2 and other plugins. I get the blue folder logos, no artist info etc. Not until I get into the "albums" folder then it looks OK.

It is slightly embarrasing going into my music collection after showing off my movies. Know what I mean ;-)

How would you advise I organise my music for a visual treat straight from the get go? How do you organise yours?

Should I have a flat structure from the top such as [Artist - Album Title] and then all songs in the single folder?

Can you recommend any decent music plugins, I can't seem to find any decent ones.

Thanks
    Ram

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mbuzina
    • Team MediaPortal

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    How about tagging your music, scanning it to the music db and switching to the views you prefer? I have full artist, album coverart and full fanart. Other also get clear art (cd images) but that is old fashioned for me ;-)

4. ramyad

ramyad Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I don't understand, How do I do the tagging you are referring to? By switching views, do you mean changing the view from the right menu in MP? If so then that still shows the blue folders.

5. Paranoid Delusion
    • Team MediaPortal

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    My folder setup is the same as yours, so you should get pictures of album or artist, could it be a view setting.

sshot-8.jpg

09-31-11.jpg

09-31-22.png

ps. take it you have music thumbnails etc enabled in fanarthandler plugin, having already scanned music files so they are in MP's database.

6. mbuzina
    • Team MediaPortal

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    ramyad, tags are extra bits of information embedded in mp3 (or other) files. They define the album name, artist, album artist, genre, year, etc. Of the track. Mediaportal scans this information, stores it in its database and allows you to switch the view from the right.

There are several ways of getting album art. Use the fanart plugin to scan, if still some are missing use the last.fm plugin to scan and do the last ones manually (files in the thumbs directory in ProgramData\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\music ).

7. ramyad

ramyad Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the screenshots, it helps, that is the way I would like mine to look, and also to be able to switch to a view of the CD cover art.

I don't see anything like that, no pictures etc, just the big blue folder icons. I've checked the Fanart Handler and I do have it setup to download artwork etc.

If I go into the folders, all the way down to the track view and play a song then I do get to see the CD cover and artwork downloading. Just nothing at the top folder level if that makes sense.

Attached are pictures from mine and I have the StreamedMP skin.

Thanks
    Ram

Attached Files:

8. Paranoid Delusion
    • Team MediaPortal

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Does WMP11\12 show artwork, for some strange reason until I used that if I remember correctly did not get a lot of artwork myself showing :confused:

Also make sure your view is set for album\artist.

10-57-59.png

I know I had about 12 artists that I had to put a folder.jpg to get to show up artist instead of folder icon, Queen was one of these, they were all properly tagged.

9. ramyad

ramyad Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Ah OK, the standard stuff, yes I tagged them as I rip them. I buy albums online now and they all come well tagged. I do have the Fanart handler setup and I do get to see the artwork when I am at the track level, just not higher up. Thanls for the feedback.

WMP was my library of choice before MP and it does show the artwork. I have folders (Artist name) were multiple sub folders are used for their albums. What do I put in the artists folder, nothing really as there are multiple albums. Maybe a picture of the artist? I'll give that a try. Thanks.

10. Paranoid Delusion
    • Team MediaPortal

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Ok narrowed down where I had to use folder.jpg, any artist that you have that has multiple albums inside, Single artist\album does not need folder.jpg.

11. ysmp
    • Team MediaPortal

ysmp Design Group

Ratings:
    +789 / 1
    Home Country:
    South Korea South Korea
    • Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!