How does content get TO the TV for viewing? (1 Viewer)

MadLadyBug

October 16, 2023
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this:

I install MediaPortal on my HTPC, which houses my content drives. Now I need to get the output to my TV in order to watch it.

I couldn't find a MediaPortal app for my Roku 4 Ultra, or for any of the other devices.

So to confirm, is this is a direct HDMI connection to the TV and thus a One-TV solution?

That's fine if so, I just want to know what I'm getting into.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I install MediaPortal on my HTPC, which houses my content drives. Now I need to get the output to my TV in order to watch it.
    Media in the form of files on your disk drives can be accessed by adding the locations (both local and networked) to for example the Videos section (there are also Image and Audio sections in the standard install) in Media Portal which will present them for playback on you connected display/TV, also the Moving Pictures and TV Series plugins offer improved features and functionality for organising video media.

I couldn't find a MediaPortal app for my Roku 4 Ultra, or for any of the other devices.

Media Portal supports most TV tuners hard connected to the HTPC via PCi or PCIe for OTA, Cable and Sat. it can also play some internet streams including Netflix and Amazon for those with a subscription and free ones such as the BBC in the UK for example via the Online Videos plugin. To the best of my knowledge Media Portal does not support Roku or other external internet streaming devices.
    So to confirm, is this is a direct HDMI connection to the TV and thus a One-TV solution?
    No, you can also set up "client" HTPCs with their own display/TV and source any of the content stored or available to the "server" HTPC via your home network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom