How does it take to start a movie? (1 Viewer)

Nindustries

Portal Member
May 31, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi guys!

Just wanted to check how long it takes with you guys until a movie starts.
I used a stopwatch and it takes 15 seconds for the movie to show in the preview mode on top of the screen, and 19 seconds to successfully start playing. Share your stats!

And any recommendations on how to speed this up? My movies are located on a NAS, over a CIFS-share.

Greetings

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi guys!

Just wanted to check how long it takes with you guys until a movie starts.
    I used a stopwatch and it takes 15 seconds for the movie to show in the preview mode on top of the screen, and 19 seconds to successfully start playing. Share your stats!

And any recommendations on how to speed this up? My movies are located on a NAS, over a CIFS-share.

Greetings

I think it takes about 1 or 2 seconds

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mostly hd 1080p mkv rips (average size between 8 and 15 gb) and some bluray rips (up to 50 gb). So mostly high quality. They are all stored on my server.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it possible that your hard disks are in sleep mode to preserve power? Than it can take a lot longer before the movie starts.

Nindustries

Portal Member
    May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Our movies are 1080p too, and i dont think our Buffalo Linkstation puts the drives to sleep. I'll need to check that tough.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    LAV Filter can add serious delays when concurrency reads are done by MediaPortal via MediaInfo to get fps/resolution info. If you do not use the dynamic fps/Hz adjustment system, then the need for MediaInfo is much less, and disabling it will get you instant playback speed.

Unfortunatly MovingPictures uses the same MediaInfo, so then you will loose all your Media Info icons as well.

The other solution would be to use a concurrency friendly codec/splitter, which used to be MPC-HC, but they are now also using LAV in their latest version, so not sure what works anymore.

If you start playback, but then stop it, MediaPortal usually already obtained the MediaInfo info it needs, then when you restart the movie it uses the 'cached' info, and then you will find that the movie starts almost instant.

As for who should be responsible to fix this problem, its a coin tossup between MediaPortal (adding a small delay between MediaInfo and playback starting), MediaInfo (making it concurrency friendly) and LAV codec (making it concurrency friendly).

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Please attach logs. Might not necessarily do wonders here, but logs should always follow a support request and similar.

Thanks for understanding :)

Nindustries

Portal Member
    May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Sorry for the late reply. Apparently, the problem is gone now.. does this mean MP cached the mediainfo?

Thank you all for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom