How does one prevent the red nag for "older" skins? (1 Viewer)

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Whenever I have a skin selected in the config that is a little dated, the red nag prompt asks if I would like to try it anyway upon MP startup. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it simply a matter of using one of the more updated skins?

This problem is especially annoying when using Vista Ultimate edition, as the "green" button on the remote calls up Vista Media Center despite the presence of MPtraymod, which works just fine with the newer skins.

Specifically, I'm trying to use ReVision 1.7. Thanks...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Whenever I have a skin selected in the config that is a little dated, the red nag prompt asks if I would like to try it anyway upon MP startup. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it simply a matter of using one of the more updated skins?

Not sure whether this shows up on first load of skin, but there is a little tick box in red info panel saying do not show me this again :)

This problem is especially annoying when using Vista Ultimate edition, as the "green" button on the remote calls up Vista Media Center despite the presence of MPtraymod, which works just fine with the newer skins.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-talk-233/experiences-tvengine-0-3-a-24097/

You need to disable manually, or use IRServersuite as this disables MCE as well.

MPTrayMOD only launches MP and keeps check, it is in focus for remote use.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Great thanks... Strangely, I don't see a tick box in the red box however. So, I suppose I'll have to resort to one of the more updated skins. Was the tick box present in an earlier version of MP?

Shutting off VMC services did the trick in terms of preventing VMC from starting though.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Which version of MP are you using, also cannot remember if there is 3-5 times use of skin, before message has tick box viewable.

I'm always upto date, so have to use memory, as good as it is for this.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm using 1.0 RC2. This little red nag box now appears every time I startup MP. It reads, "The currently selected skin is outdated." It appears even when using skins such as the Aeon Wide skin, which didn't prompt this red box.

I remember this was a problem for versions going back to 0.2.3. It seems once I load a skin that isn't fully compatible with the version of MP on your system, I continue to get this nag box despite going back to a skin that originally worked just fine.

I've deleted the contents of the cache folder. Are there any other cache folders that need deleting? Or, is this a reg entry of some sort?:confused:

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    OK, after comparing a new install's folders with backup install's folders, I was able to trace the above problem down to a very odd cause. If the skin "Blue Two" is deleted from the skins folder, I get the nag screen despite having selected the skin "Blue Two Wide", or any other very recent skin that does not normally prompt the nag. If I add back the "Blue Two" skin, no nag screen appears.

Now, if any of you try to reproduce this problem you may not be able to do so UNLESS you first attempt to try and load an older skin, which should legitimately prompt the nag. Only then will you never be able to get rid of the nag as long as the "Blue Two" skin has been deleted.

Once the "Blue Two" skin has been restored (even if it is not selected in the config), things return to normal and proper skin version checking occurs. Strange, eh?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    You can also modify the settings XML of the skin you are using.
    Just look in the MP config section where all the skins are listed. Make a note of the revision number for Blue Two then change the revision number in the skin you are using to match.

I'm pretty sure it's listed towards the top of settings.xml.

Just remember that if you do this, you are still using an outdated skin and just fooling MP that it isn't outdated. as a result, check any errors in Blue Two before you post any bug reports.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    You can also modify the settings XML of the skin you are using.
    Just look in the MP config section where all the skins are listed. Make a note of the revision number for Blue Two then change the revision number in the skin you are using to match.

I'm pretty sure it's listed towards the top of settings.xml.

Just remember that if you do this, you are still using an outdated skin and just fooling MP that it isn't outdated. as a result, check any errors in Blue Two before you post any bug reports.

Yes, I know all that. :) That's not the bug I was trying to sort out.

You can reproduce this problem by deleting the "blue two" folder from the skins directory, loading an outdated skin prompting the red nag box, and then loading an updated skin. You will continue to see the red nag, despite the version of the update skin having a valid, updated version to it. Only until you restore the "Blue Two" folder back to the skin folder will you be able to start MP nag-free.

Yes, it sounds strange, but that is what happens on my system. So, in short, don't get rid of the default skins.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    MP uses BlueTwo as the "reference", hence you delete it and everything goes pear shaped like mine did as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom