How many tuners? (1 Viewer)

How many tuners do you have in your HTPC?

• Total voters

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
Hi all,

Just answered another post, and kind of posed a question to myself, which I thought might be interesting to see the response from the community.

Remember the old days when all you had was one VCR in the house to record TV shows while you were out? (yeah, I know there were even older days when there were no VCRs .....) What happened if there were 2 shows on different channels, at the same time? Well, you just had to decide which one you were happy to miss.

Now I find myself in a similar situation more and more these days, however having a MediaPortal box with 2 digital tuners, the problem arises for me when there are THREE shows on at the same time that I want to record!!!

So, my question to everybody is kind of two-fold - how many tuners do you have in your system? Then as a talking point, how many tuners should be enough in this day and age? Lastly, how many tuners will my kids need when they have kids themselves?!?!?! Is it an exponentially growing number as the years go by?

Cheers,
Craig

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A bit of a toughie considering MP + other software is capable of recording every channel on a single transponder :), eat your heart out M$

craigparris1

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Doesn't help when all the different shows that I need to record are coming from 3 different transponders, though ..... :(

Looking at the poll results so far I'm already way behind the times, obviously!!!

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I think it is also proportional to how many people use the system. The more users, the more variety in shows recorded and then the need for more tuners. I have 4 tuners and it is often not enough. I have the shows I want recorded, so does my wife and then my 4 kids have their shows as well.

craigparris1

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Well, NickName, that's your own damn fault for having 4 kids, I would say .... :)

Poll results seem to be trending towards the 2,3,4 range, though, so that does seem to be the norm (4 tuners, that is, not 4 kids!)

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Yeah, 4 kids... I found out what was causing that, so there won't be any more now. ;-)

I use 2 dual tuners (2 x 2 = 4 tuners) as then I only need one (powered) antennae splitter between the 2 cards.

Good luck,

Nick Name

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Got 5 tuners (quad digital devices + hauppuage S2), but soon to be 4 (just digital devices)

This is for the equivalent of three clients (inc iPimp) - where only 1 client is really used (other clients might get used once per month at most)

J.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I selected 4 tuners in the poll (2X Dual HDHomeruns), although I have a WINTV-PVR-150 MCE that I only use for OTA FM radio and capture from my VCR.

Chuck

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Here in the UK we've recently had a retune (I'm talking about freeview here) to make way for some HD channels and also to re-organise things a bit. I have 6 tuners (3 x dual tuners), but one of the tuners doesn't scan anything. But, since all the standard def channels are now on 5 muxes, I only need 5 tuners to be able to record/watch every single SD channel we have here. So, I'd say just get as many tuners as muxes and you'll be set.

That's the killer feature of mediaportal for me, the "re-use" of a tuner if it's already tuned to the correct mux.

If I were bothered about HD channels I could get a DVB-T2 tuner and again I'd be set. It's just a case of my internal network being able to handle the streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom