How to adjust video colors (contrast, saturation) & How to change subtitle timing (1 Viewer)

hunted22

Portal Member
August 5, 2010
Hello..

While I was watching a movie on MP thought MovingPicture, I hit a keyboard key by accident, and I discovered that there is a color adjustment option in MPortal, where I can adjust video colors like contrast, saturation, etc.. but when I played with the colors, there was no effect on the video.. I mean the video colors didn't change according to my adjustment.
I also discovered an option ,also by accident, where I can change timing of subtitle..

What I want to know is:

1. How can I access these two options again, since I reached them by accident?..
2. Why when I changed the color settings, there was no effect on the video?

thanks in advance.

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Streamedmp 1.2
Windows Version: Windows 7 32b
Plugin: Moving Picture 1.2.3.1329
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow video decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow audio decoder
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow video decoder
Video renderer: EVR

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    1. How can I access these two options again, since I reached them by accident?..
    2. Why when I changed the color settings, there was no effect on the video?

For #1 not sure what you hit, MediaPortal config -> General -> "Keyboard Default Shortcuts" has everything defined normally. But you can also open OSD during playback ('Y' on keyboard, remote depends on your config) and then use the right-arrow keys (keyboard or remote) to navigate to the controls that allow you to adjust for example subtitle delay via the "CC" icon at the far right. This all depends on the skin you use, which can also explain the color change combination of keys you hit on. If you use a skin other then Default or DefaultWide your best shot to explain that is to check with the developer(s) of that skin on their thread.

As for the #2 question, the MediaPortal parts on menu and OSD are controlled by MediaPortal. The actual video playback is dealt with by DirectShow codecs. So to adjust brightness, contrast, gamma or any other aspect on that you will need support from the codec. Some of them indeed allow for keyboard shortcuts to accept input to adjust things. But you have to look into the codec you use for that and check the settings. If you are looking for a codec with support on that, look at ffdshow-tryouts then.

hunted22

Portal Member
    August 5, 2010
    Thank you for your response RoChess..

I did open the OSD using the key Y.. and this is actually what i've been looking for.. I wasn't able to find is because the yellow button on my remote control, which was assosiated with OSD, is not equal to Y, but SHIFT+Y actually.
    Also, when I switched from Streamedmp to Black Glass Nova HD, I found the color settings.. so it depends on the skin like you said.. thank you for pointing that out..

As for my second question, the I'm not sure why the color settings don't work.. I believe my codec does support color adjustment since I'm able to adjust colors on media media players that use the same codec!..
    I'm gonna check out ffdshow tryouts, hopefully find some answer because I hate to switch from ffdshow since it is the only codec that was able to play all of my video file types without problem.

Thanks again RoChess.. really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom