how to automatically switch to my (MP) monitor with a remote control (Harmony One) (1 Viewer)

rjamesbeen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My dear MediaPortal fellowmen,

My question is not about starting up mediaportal to the secondary screen which you can select in the mediaportal configuration. For me this does not work since using Mediaportal on a extended display setup will make my video playback stutter, even after upgrading my HTPC system. I have to have a single monitor output setup to make it work. Unfortunately :(

Now each time I want to use Mediaportal I have to change the primary monitor from my lcd monitor manually to the TV screen. This is a pain in the ass but I thought this was just the way it is..

Untill this weekend.. I was setting up mediaportal at my brothers place to work with a Logitech universal remote control.. He also has the same setup as I have:

• One pc with dual monitor output: LCD monitor for personal computing and TV monitor for Mediaportal use.

I could not believe my eyes!
    when starting mediaportal activity with the Logitech in which I selected Microsoft Windows Media Center SE as the MediaPortal device the monitor output automatically switches to the TV monitor!! And since it must be possible to give it a green button command which will startup MediaPortal as well this will make a perfect solution for my manually selecting monitor output..!! And have a fully 100% satisfying MediaPortal setup! :)

Now of course I tried to see why it does not work like that for me.. I noticed that for my MediaPortal activity on my Harmony One I did not use the Microsoft Windows Media Center SE device so I added this to my devices and created the simular activity in my Logitech Harmony One configuration.
    However, for some reason it will not change the monitor output. Except for the hardware differences I have 2 HDMI outputs active for both monitors where my brother has a vga monitor for computing and HDMI output active for his TV screen.

Anybody has experience with making my setup work and also having the monitor change with my remote control??

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I had a similar problem. Working with 2 monitors, and switching between them before starting MP. Same with 2 different audio outputs...
    The solution I had in mind was changing MPTray.exe to have these as settings. (A configurable remote control button for switching between monitors and audio outputs, and not as part of the green button though, so one extra press for you...). I worked on the code and it's currently being evaluated. I'm guessing that voting for it or posting a comment there might help pushing it forward ;)

here's my proposed solution:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...and-audio-devices-switch-using-remote.113256/

Regards,
    Yoav

rjamesbeen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I had a similar problem. Working with 2 monitors, and switching between them before starting MP. Same with 2 different audio outputs...
    The solution I had in mind was changing MPTray.exe to have these as settings. (A configurable remote control button for switching between monitors and audio outputs, and not as part of the green button though, so one extra press for you...). I worked on the code and it's currently being evaluated. I'm guessing that voting for it or posting a comment there might help pushing it forward ;)

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...and-audio-devices-switch-using-remote.113256/

Regards,
    Yoav
    Thanks for replying Yoav.. Your solution looks great of course, exactly what I need.. But from the reactions to your post it does not seem to be the direction the developers want to go.. This ghostevent they are suggesting to look at is not a real workable solution for me either.

We can not work from the appearant function that Windows 7 allready seem to have? It appearantly seems te respond to a ir command through the remote control.. Do you know anything about that?

Or anybody else has a solution for my situation? There must be plenty of MP fans people with a dual monitor setup, I am sure.

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel

Regards,
    Yoav
    Thanks for replying Yoav.. Your solution looks great of course, exactly what I need.. But from the reactions to your post it does not seem to be the direction the developers want to go.. This ghostevent they are suggesting to look at is not a real workable solution for me either.

We can not work from the appearant function that Windows 7 allready seem to have? It appearantly seems te respond to a ir command through the remote control.. Do you know anything about that?

Or anybody else has a solution for my situation? There must be plenty of MP fans people with a dual monitor setup, I am sure.

Don't give up just yet. I've also got supporters which happen to have some influence ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom