How To: Building MediaPortal with Visual Studio 2003 .Net (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Requirements:
-Visual Studio 2003.NET
-The sources (look here how to get them: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=24#24
-DirectX 9.0c Summer 2004 SDK http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...42-9912-42a3-9a9e-d857199f888e&displaylang=en
How to compile:
-Install Visual Studio 2003.NET (Be sure to install C#!)
-Install the DirectX 9.0c SDK
-get the sources
-run mediaportal/setup/postsetup/register.bat
-Start Visual Studio 2003.NET
-choose File->Open Solution...
-select mediaportal/MediaPortal.sln
-select Build->configuration...
- in the dropdown box select 'Release' configuration
- select Close button
-select Build->Rebuild solution...

If you want to build a debug version then:
-copy everything from mediaportal/xbmc/bin/release to mediaportal/xbmc/bin/debug but
DONT OVERWRITE ANY FILES IN THE /debug FOLDER!!!
-Start Visual Studio 2003.NET
-choose File->Open Solution...
-select mediaportal/MediaPortal.sln
-select Build->configuration...
- in the dropdown box select 'Debug' configuration
- select Close button
-select Build->Rebuild solution...

Thats it

Frodo

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Is this list still correct? If I recall correctly the register.bat is not needed anymore and second I think it is really strange to copy stuff to the Debug folder and then build a Release version.

HenriM

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2004
    Rijsbergen, The Netherlands
    Is there also a kind of command/batch file which copies all needed (just build) files to the correct location of the MP Install? I mean, now I have to manually find all files which are present in MP Install and copy the new build files over it.

Do you understand what I mean?

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    swen002 said:
    This seems to be the latest
    The complete DirectX 9.0 SDK - (June 2005)

What file in dx9sdk.exe indicates the version?

kaliatech

Portal Member
    September 28, 2005
    What file in dx9sdk.exe indicates the version?

Not sure if you're asking in regards to figuring out which DirectX installation archive you have, or what version you have installed already?

In reference to the archive file itself (dx9sdk.exe), it's just a self-extracting zip file. Run it and tell it where to unzip. Then before continuing the install, check out the unzip directory and look at "dxreadme.htm". It will tell you the version. I think the 9.0c SDK release is also known as the "June 2005" release.

If you want to know what version you have installed already, try "Run..." -> "dxdiag". This will show the version of your DX runtime. If you need to see if you have the SDK installed or not (versus just having the runtime), you can try looking at the files tab of the dxdiag screen. If you see a lot of duplicate dlls where the only difference is a "d" appended to the filename, you probably have the SDK installed somewhere as well.

Note, in case it's not obvious, this is only important if you plan to develop/program Media Portal. If you just want to run it, you should go to the MS site and install the DX runtime, not the SDK.

The "dxdiag" utility will work for the runtime as well if you just to see what version of DirectX you have installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom