How to completely disable/de-install timeshift? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyDenruyter

April 12, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
TV-Server Version: Rev18584
MediaPortal Version: Rev18584
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800
HDD:
Memory: 2Gb
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: TechnoTrend S-1500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello all,

I am also one of the many people getting those No video/audio detected errors all the time. I always have to completely remove the entire installation (including database), install again, do this terrible channel scan again, and then usually I can watch television for a few hours until I have changed channel a few times again. Then again it blocks completely and I have to start all-over again. I have read the topics on this forum, and I have the impression that all this agony is caused by timeshifting. However, I don't need any timeshifting - I just want to watch tv. Is there a way to completely utterly disable all timeshifting stuff? I tried the settings, but I am still getting those mysterious 'timeshifting' indication.

Many thanks for any hints!

panteon

May 8, 2008
unexploited timeshift, waste of expensive current…why

To me It sounds completely stupid that you are not able to disable or turn off the timeshift option – it was actually the only reason why I dumped MCE 2005…

A media center should be aiming for the lowest power consumption possible a unexploited timeshift option is just a waste of expensive current…why?

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    i have a very low specs computer and i can timeshift without problem. If you cant timeshift you will not be able to record as it is the same process i think.

i gues thats why timeshift cant be disabled.

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Out of curiosity, why is timeshift enabled by default? Why not have it set up so timeshift only activates if you press pause while watching live TV?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you need (?) to disable timeshifting, then try using the inbuilt TV engine ("TVE2").

einstein72

Portal Member
    October 12, 2007
    In front of my PC
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    To me It sounds completely stupid that you are not able to disable or turn off the timeshift option – it was actually the only reason why I dumped MCE 2005…

A media center should be aiming for the lowest power consumption possible a unexploited timeshift option is just a waste of expensive current…why?

I couldn't agree more.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

I couldn't agree more.

so you totally agree that increasing maybe 2 or 3 Watts for timeshift is a waste of current? and then you will probably have another computer in anther room downloading 24/7 or a light bulb on all night, :confused:

im sorry but if you compare the price of buying a HTPC a Flat tv, tuners, extra hard drives, etc... with the energy cost of timeshifting...then its just funny this argument.

einstein72

Portal Member
    October 12, 2007
    In front of my PC
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    so you totally agree that increasing maybe 2 or 3 Watts for timeshift is a waste of current? and then you will probably have another computer in anther room downloading 24/7 or a light bulb on all night, :confused:

im sorry but if you compare the price of buying a HTPC a Flat tv, tuners, extra hard drives, etc... with the energy cost of timeshifting...then its just funny this argument.

No. I agree that it's stupid to include timeshifting and a client/server setup on a single seat install. When there's one pc where you run MP on, you still get the timeshifting and server crap you really can do without.

I agree with you that, when running two pc's, you can make a (little) profit. But that's not what counts for me. When I'm fed up with all the things that go wrong I'll just buy an extra tv set.

I'm back to 0.2.3. And when that version stops working for me, I stop using Media Portal alltogether.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

i am sorry, but all your arguments are plain ludicrous.

the useability improovement to have a timeshift buffer where i can just pause livetv and/or go a couple of minutes back because i missed something, was the main reason for me to actualy use and HTPC it for watching tv.
    if you dont need that, then you dont need an HTPC imo. :D

if you can not affort the additional electricity bill of lets say €1,- per year (if HTPC is online 24/7), which is cause by the HDD which needs "more power" because its used for the timeshift buffer, then i doubt that you can affort an HTPC at all.

but if you are from green peace and want to "save earth", then setup a ramdisc and store the timeshiftbuffer there.

No. I agree that it's stupid to include timeshifting and a client/server setup on a single seat install. When there's one pc where you run MP on, you still get the timeshifting and server crap you really can do without.
    noone forces you to use the TV-Server.
    if you dont like it, dont install it and just continue to use the inbuild engine of 1.0 RC1. :rolleyes:

I'm back to 0.2.3. And when that version stops working for me, I stop using Media Portal alltogether.
    fine with me, good luck. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom