How to connect htpc to tv (1 Viewer)

Cetacea

Portal Member
June 22, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Ok, I have my HTPC pretty much built. I am connected to my TV (JVC HDTV "ready" with HDMI connector) using S-Video from my XFX G-Force FX6800. I must say the video quality is pretty crappy. What is the best way to connect to this tv? I thought about a DVI to HDMI converter cable but read that this may damage my TV. The TV manual says the HDMI is NOT compatible with a PC. I bought a VGA to Component cable, but this does not work at all as I get no video. I saw "transcoders" available for around $150. Do I need one of these to get a good picture? Or am I pretty much stuck using the crappy S-Video?

Thanks for any inputs.

Glenn

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Bit stuck there I see, Svideo isnt a very good choice considering the quality. Was there a reason you got such a power card for a htpc? Its just a card like the 6200 comes with a HDTV out which has native component out (which works). Unless you try more converters I dont think you have a lot more choice.

Transcoders usually only work with set resolutions so they are a pretty bad solution (ie 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, nothing in between or above)

Cetacea

Portal Member
    June 22, 2005
    Okinawa, Japan
    So I don't need that good of a video card? I figured I would want a really good card to send good video. I can always buy a 6200 and use the 6800 in my main PC. I found a 6200 with HDTV out. Does it come with a connector that converts to Component?

Glenn

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    A good card is relative, any full DX9 card will work just as well as the next in terms of rendering the gui. Did you buy it recently? If you did you may be able to swap it for another 6800 with HDTV out (google say some brands have them).

Otherwise if you feel comfortable buying another card then yeh thats fine. The 6200 has a dongle which plugs in between the 2 dvi ports and has the connectors for svideo/composite/component out on it. As long as the card says it has HDTV out on the box, it will come with what you need.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    hmmm strange that the tv manual says it doesnt' work with a PC, you should have an image if you plug the VGA and only the VGA cable into your card and then into your tv, and change it to the RGB setting on the tv and you should receive some kind of a picture from the computer, in terms of a cable i reckon you wouldn't have any problems with a cable from a hifi store that is DVI one end and HDMI the other end, i reckon it would work fine, but i guess i can't comment since i haven't got a HD tv to test out on , sorry

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I happily use a DVI-HDMI cable. It is costly ($100 for about 6 feet), but works great for me.

***Disclaimer*** If you use one and blow up your TV, computer, walls, car or neighbor's house. Please don't blame me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom