How to database self-filmed family videos?

Discussion in 'watch/edit Videos' started by The_Stig, July 24, 2015.

1. The_Stig
    • Team MediaPortal

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Hey guys,

as I am more of the shares-guy and did not use database view (except for TVSeries) I am currently searching for a way to database my round 2.000 self-filmed family videos. Tried a bit around with MyFilms and MovingPictures but did not work out.

What I want is finally a solution where I can filter these videos e.g. after years. Is there a way to do this?

Regards

Stig

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vasilich
    • Team MediaPortal

Vasilich Test Group

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 2
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    where the information should be taked from? file date? file creation date?

I would suggest to look to the NFO files where you can define tags like date, description etc, that can be imported into DB...

4. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,613 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    I'm separating my "Non- Database" videos by genre folders and add .nfo and fanart generated automatically by MKV Buddy to them. In MP2 (I don't use MP1 any more) this is looking like that:
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

Edit:
    The year is grabbed from the "file last changed" date. Next Generation of MKV Buddy will have more options here but for now only this can be used.

Last edited: July 24, 2015
  5. The_Stig
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Yeah, thanks guys. Will try with MKV Buddy, sounds really good. File creation date and own genre is fine for me! Dunno if this works with MP1 tho...will see

6. The_Stig
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    @Lehmden, do I have to convert all video files to MKV first? Wouldn't like to do it because of the amount of video files I am having...

7. HomeY
    • Team MediaPortal

HomeY Test Group

Network Engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,737 / 16
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Converting your files sounds like a waste of time, if your goal is organization. I use MovPic & TV Series database views for my movies / series (since those can be looked up on IMDb/TheTVdB/etc.) and use MyVideos (Shares View) for all my home/training videos.
    I've set up a single share where i put all those files in subfolders and from several attempts that seems the best & easiest way (for me).
    14-51-49.png

8. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +3,613 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Yep. But you can try to fool MKV-Buddy by simply renaming them. Never tried it but it probably can work.
    Also I can't understand that soo much people having others than MKV, it's simply the best available container today... I don't have a single video (excerpt for some raw TV recordings) that is not in an mkv container...
    Remuxing your videos to mkv also has a lot more benefits like possibility to add metatags (like you would do to music..) and it's really fast (same as a copy) and is keeping the quality 100%. Normally mkv are a bit smaller too (1% or less), so you may save a little bit of space also...

MovingPictures or TVSeries can't add fanart to videos without online database source, so this is not comparable... But you easily can use MovingPictures after MKV-Buddy has done it's magic.;)

9. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +3,613 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    @The_Stig
    Please try the attached binary (x86 or x64 depending on your installation). Simply replace the MKV-Buddy.exe in the program folder. This version should generate .nfo and fanart for all filetypes MKV-Buddy can handle, Those are the same as for remuxing. The limitation to mkv now should be gone. Have a look at the manual for a complete list. If something is missing you can add those file extensions in Settings.

It's a quick try (done in some minutes) so maybe not all is working as expected. Tagging or attaching fanart still is limited to .mkv only as nearly no other container is supporting this in the way it's needed: If there is any support available at all.

We have started to work on MKV-Buddy 2.0 that should be more universal (Fanart and Grabbing for other containers than mkv...) so it's mainly for MKV but not exclusively like MKV-Buddy V1 is.

Attached Files:

10. The_Stig
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    This is what I did so far. But I am not happy with it. I am having around 2.000 video files in about 250 folders since the videos are in my pictures folders. So I really need a db-solution for this. I stumbled about this when playing with the FiretV Stick and Plex. With Plex all went automatically, simply add the share and you have all filter options. I really liked this (but in my setup its unusable since my NAS isn't powerful enough to playback/transcode mit iPhone-Videos).
    Will do, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. The_Stig
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    @Lehmden, tested now and seems to work for my files. Thanks for this. But it did not set the year tag in the .nfos. Thats the most important thing for me. Any chance of integration?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!