How to database self-filmed family videos? (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey guys,

as I am more of the shares-guy and did not use database view (except for TVSeries) I am currently searching for a way to database my round 2.000 self-filmed family videos. Tried a bit around with MyFilms and MovingPictures but did not work out.

What I want is finally a solution where I can filter these videos e.g. after years. Is there a way to do this?

Regards

Stig

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    where the information should be taked from? file date? file creation date?

I would suggest to look to the NFO files where you can define tags like date, description etc, that can be imported into DB...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm separating my "Non- Database" videos by genre folders and add .nfo and fanart generated automatically by MKV Buddy to them. In MP2 (I don't use MP1 any more) this is looking like that:
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

Edit:
    The year is grabbed from the "file last changed" date. Next Generation of MKV Buddy will have more options here but for now only this can be used.

Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Yeah, thanks guys. Will try with MKV Buddy, sounds really good. File creation date and own genre is fine for me! Dunno if this works with MP1 tho...will see

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    @Lehmden, do I have to convert all video files to MKV first? Wouldn't like to do it because of the amount of video files I am having...

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Converting your files sounds like a waste of time, if your goal is organization. I use MovPic & TV Series database views for my movies / series (since those can be looked up on IMDb/TheTVdB/etc.) and use MyVideos (Shares View) for all my home/training videos.
    I've set up a single share where i put all those files in subfolders and from several attempts that seems the best & easiest way (for me).
    14-51-49.png

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yep. But you can try to fool MKV-Buddy by simply renaming them. Never tried it but it probably can work.
    Also I can't understand that soo much people having others than MKV, it's simply the best available container today... I don't have a single video (excerpt for some raw TV recordings) that is not in an mkv container...
    Remuxing your videos to mkv also has a lot more benefits like possibility to add metatags (like you would do to music..) and it's really fast (same as a copy) and is keeping the quality 100%. Normally mkv are a bit smaller too (1% or less), so you may save a little bit of space also...

MovingPictures or TVSeries can't add fanart to videos without online database source, so this is not comparable... But you easily can use MovingPictures after MKV-Buddy has done it's magic.;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @The_Stig
    Please try the attached binary (x86 or x64 depending on your installation). Simply replace the MKV-Buddy.exe in the program folder. This version should generate .nfo and fanart for all filetypes MKV-Buddy can handle, Those are the same as for remuxing. The limitation to mkv now should be gone. Have a look at the manual for a complete list. If something is missing you can add those file extensions in Settings.

It's a quick try (done in some minutes) so maybe not all is working as expected. Tagging or attaching fanart still is limited to .mkv only as nearly no other container is supporting this in the way it's needed: If there is any support available at all.

We have started to work on MKV-Buddy 2.0 that should be more universal (Fanart and Grabbing for other containers than mkv...) so it's mainly for MKV but not exclusively like MKV-Buddy V1 is.

Attachments

• MKV Buddy_x64.exe.zip
      883 KB
    • MKV Buddy.exe.zip
      852.6 KB

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Converting your files sounds like a waste of time, if your goal is organization. I use MovPic & TV Series database views for my movies / series (since those can be looked up on IMDb/TheTVdB/etc.) and use MyVideos (Shares View) for all my home/training videos.
    I've set up a single share where i put all those files in subfolders and from several attempts that seems the best & easiest way (for me).
    View attachment 167217
    This is what I did so far. But I am not happy with it. I am having around 2.000 video files in about 250 folders since the videos are in my pictures folders. So I really need a db-solution for this. I stumbled about this when playing with the FiretV Stick and Plex. With Plex all went automatically, simply add the share and you have all filter options. I really liked this (but in my setup its unusable since my NAS isn't powerful enough to playback/transcode mit iPhone-Videos).
    Please try the attached binary
    Will do, thanks!

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    @Lehmden, tested now and seems to work for my files. Thanks for this. But it did not set the year tag in the .nfos. Thats the most important thing for me. Any chance of integration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom