How to delay recording's start time and advance stop recording time? (1 Viewer)

whiteoutage

Portal Member
February 7, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Looks like MP has options to start recordings early and end them later, but I'd like to do the opposite and I see no options for doing this. Has anyone ever done this, and if so how?

It has been suggested to just record the whole show, but I archive every show, and would rather not have to edit the show everyday for the rest of my life. I only want to record 8 minutes of a 1 hour daily program.

Homer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You could try a variation of this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/otr-on-time-recording.124190/

PS: I see you started two identical threads about this, and you've referred to a further thread which I also recall reading but now can't find. Please consider that it is a pain for us to provide answers to you if you ask multiple times (actually it feels like nagging) and it is a pain for other people to find answers to the same question (because the information is scattered). Please try to avoid doing this in future. I'm now going to delete this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ng-start-times-and-advance-stop-times.124873/

whiteoutage

Portal Member
    February 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

whiteoutage

Portal Member
    February 7, 2014
    Home Country
    The point of me pointing you to that thread is that you would see you have the ability to specify exact start and stop times by editing the schedule contents manually, as per this post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/otr-on-time-recording.124190/#post-1057653

If you want to specify the start and stop times down to that level of detail then that may be the only way you can do it.

Why did you delete the post I just made explaining why the method that you link to is not very good for recording short time frame periods?

Last edited:

whiteoutage

Portal Member
    February 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Why did you delete the post I just made explaining why the method that you link to is not very good for recording short time frame periods?
    I didn't delete any post. :confused:
    That's weird, cause your reply was displayed here but my question posted 1.5 hours earlier was not displayed? Anyhow, as I stated, that link is not good for short recordings that are less than, say 25 minutes, and especially not good for the 8 minute recordings I need. Minimum record time with that method is 30 minutes. Does anyone know of a better alternative for very short time period recordings?

If program/code is too difficult to universally change then maybe there is a file that someone could direct me that allows me to change start/stop times on my computer.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's weird, cause your reply was displayed here but my question posted 1.5 hours earlier was not displayed?
    Hmmm, maybe your post was awaiting moderation (ie. not shown until moderators explicitly approve it - this is applied for all new members), and I may have missed that.

Anyhow, as I stated, that link is not good for short recordings that are less than, say 25 minutes, and especially not good for the 8 minute recordings I need. Minimum record time with that method is 30 minutes. Does anyone know of a better alternative for very short time period recordings?
    Please read my previous posts again. :)
    In short what I'm hearing is that you can't do what you want through the MP user interface. I understand that you would need shorter-than-30-minute options and that those options don't currently exist.

My [personal] response is that I'm not going to add those options... BUT there is another way to get what you want described in the previously linked post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/otr-on-time-recording.124190/#post-1057653

That alternative way involves exporting, manually editing, and reimporting the schedule.

If program/code is too difficult to universally change...
    The code is not too difficult. When we make decisions about software there are many considerations to think about. My opinion in this case is that the proposed options aren't universally useful, so I'm reluctant to add them. I prescribe to the view that less is more when it comes to software user interfaces.

...then maybe there is a file that someone could direct me that allows me to change start/stop times on my computer.
    That's what I've been trying to do! ;)
    Again, please read the second paragraph of the post that I linked again:

To be clear: I'm saying you should use the import/export section of TV Server configuration to export the schedule, notepad to edit the scheduled start/stop times as required, then re-import it.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    since I'm implicated by the other thread, here is a way to backdoor modify the start/end times. Like both of the requester's it would NICE to have a way to enter both positive and negative pre/post store time and avoid this. But life goes on.

You do have to get your hands dirty and export, modify, import the raw scheduled recordings xml file. I use notepad++ for editing, notepad will work, personal choice. Look at these 2 Tv Server Config wiki pages before you start.

Import/Export
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...erver_Configuration/14_Import_Export_Channels
    Schedules
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/TV-Server_Configuration/09_Schedules

1. Make a scheduled recording for the show you want.
    2. Use Import/Export to export the schedule to a file, Only Export the schedules to make life easier. To be safe export 2 times 1 as a backup, 1 as the file you will modify.
    3. Delete the show(s) you want to hand edit
    4. Use Notepad to Modify the StartTime="2014-3-18 19:0:0" and EndTime="2014-3-18 19:30:0", save export.xml file
    5. Use Import/Export to import your modified export.xml file, this will RESTART the TV Server

The following shows and example for a
    1 time show ProgramName="KTVU News at 7pm on TV36 *" modified start/end = 19:08:0/19:16:0
    all episodes for ProgramName="Extra". modified start/end = 19:11:0/19:19:0
    I've never tried this but will let it run and see what happens

Code:
    ORIGINAL SCHEDULE1, 1 time, ProgramName="KTVU News at 7pm on TV36 *"

<schedule ChannelName="KICU-HD" ProgramName="KTVU News at 7pm on TV36 *" StartTime="2014-3-18 19:0:0" EndTime="2014-3-18 19:30:0" KeepDate="2000-1-1 0:0:0" PreRecordInterval="1" PostRecordInterval="1" Priority="0" Quality="73" Directory="" KeepMethod="0" MaxAirings="2147483647" ScheduleType="0" Series="False" />

MODIFY StartTime="2014-3-18 19:0:0" TO StartTime="2014-3-18 19:08:0"
    MODIFY EndTime="2014-3-18 19:30:0" TO EndTime="2014-3-18 19:16:0"

MODIFIED SHOWN BELOW

<schedule ChannelName="KICU-HD" ProgramName="KTVU News at 7pm on TV36 *" StartTime="2014-3-18 19:08:0" EndTime="2014-3-18 19:16:0" KeepDate="2000-1-1 0:0:0" PreRecordInterval="1" PostRecordInterval="1" Priority="0" Quality="73" Directory="" KeepMethod="0" MaxAirings="2147483647" ScheduleType="0" Series="False" />

ORIGINAL SCHEDULE2, all episodes, ProgramName="Extra"

<schedule ChannelName="KNTV HD" ProgramName="Extra" StartTime="2014-3-18 19:0:0" EndTime="2014-3-18 19:30:0" KeepDate="2000-1-1 0:0:0" PreRecordInterval="1" PostRecordInterval="1" Priority="0" Quality="73" Directory="" KeepMethod="0" MaxAirings="2147483647" ScheduleType="3" Series="False" />

MODIFY StartTime="2014-3-18 19:0:0" TO StartTime="2014-3-18 19:11:0"
    MODIFY EndTime="2014-3-18 19:30:0" TO EndTime="2014-3-18 19:19:0"

MODIFIED SHOWN BELOW

<schedule ChannelName="KNTV HD" ProgramName="Extra" StartTime="2014-3-18 19:11:0" EndTime="2014-3-18 19:19:0" KeepDate="2000-1-1 0:0:0" PreRecordInterval="1" PostRecordInterval="1" Priority="0" Quality="73" Directory="" KeepMethod="0" MaxAirings="2147483647" ScheduleType="3" Series="False" />

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom