How to download covers and backdrops to already existed movie database? (1 Viewer)

hunted22

Portal Member
August 5, 2010
Hello all..

I just reinstalled MPortal, and used backup plugin to import my movie database from my old installation, but I didn't backup images. so now the database is there but there is no images at all.

I tried just running moving picture, and it did start to download images, but after a few minutes, it just stopped importing. I closed and reopened i, but nothing.not to mention that when it was downloading, it was very slow.

Any ideas guys?

thanks in advance.

mportal 1.2.3
mpicture 1.5.14

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    MovPic normally imports missing artwork in the background when it knows it is missing.

The problem is you used a backup, and if you only used the DB3 backup and not the corresponding artwork backup from the thumbs folder, then MovPic based on the database thinks all artwork is accounted for and that it doesn't have to look for it again.

You can force new artwork inside the configuration via the image refresh icon under the poster area, but this only takes care of the cover. To fix it for fanart you would have to delete all the references inside the database with an SQLite tool and then MovPic upon next time you start it will automatically use the corresponding background fanart scraper-script to obtain it (most likely TMDb).

If your filenames are all named ideal (containing IMDb tt-ID reference direct in filename, or indirect in NFO), then a full re-import might be more in place. And keep in mind for future reference to back that artwork folder up as well. There is also an MPEI plugin you can use that does it for you, either the backup plugin, or the MovPicNFO one.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    PS: There is also an MPEI plugin available that can purge missing artwork, but I believe that one works based on the fact that you might have removed a movie from the database and it will clean up the artwork files then. It might not work the other way around, where it detects you are missing the artwork and it will delete the database reference. Worth a try to look at that anyway.

hunted22

Portal Member
    August 5, 2010
    Thank you RoChess for your input.

I did actually use The Backup Plugin. the thing is that when I used an early release before (two times), it backed up images and data, but when I ran the plugin again, I found that it started to download the fan art again like the backed up images were not recognized. for example, instead of having three covers for every movie (my configured number of covers), I had nine, three for the first import, and 6 for the two times I used the plugin. so I thought I'd back up only the database this time, and redownload the images, and at the same time free some space by having only 3 covers for each movie.

Anyway, I actually re-restored and started over.. and left the moving picture to work.. I found out that it will work for a few minutes, and the stop. but after a (long) while it continues to work, and then stop for a while, and keeps on doing that. it just needs to not to be interrupted.
    It's VERY SLOW, but I believe it can be done this year. it downloaded 240MB of images in about 6 hrs. better than nothing.
    As long as it's working, I'm gonna leave it to take it's time.. I don't wanna take any chances trying other solutions, to discover that the problem is with the image servers themselves, and I have to start all over. and if anything went wrong, I'll try your suggestions.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    While it is running, you can open the movingpictures.log file and see explanation why things take long. Indeed the TMDb content server can have issues, or the API server is slow on furfilling the requests. I've sometimes seen tons of time-outs myself and I just abort and resume another time. Keep in mind that MovPic is pretty good at resuming where it last left off on that aspect. Because on a fresh import the missing data is obviously missing and MovPic does a scan upon startup to look for missing parts.

MediaPortal needs to be set for verbosity debug logging, as in the default "Information" mode, not enough info is usually listed.

thlucas

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I run into this same problem when having to reinstall MP, in that it loses all of my settings (watched / filters, etc) and custom artwork. I finally got tired of it and am working on a solution. :D

Don't know if it will help, but my solution (a stand-alone GUI) will export (or backup) various settings from the MovingPictures database to an XML file. It also allows you to copy all artwork (Cover, Thumb, Alt Covers, Backdrop) to a specified folder or to the folder where the movie file resides. It also stores the watched settings, as well as black / white filter list settings.

I currently have the Export feature working, and am now working on the import. This will allow one to reimport all of the above settings into the MP database without a rescan.

Cheers - TL

spacemanc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2011
    I run into this same problem when having to reinstall MP, in that it loses all of my settings (watched / filters, etc) and custom artwork. I finally got tired of it and am working on a solution. :D

Don't know if it will help, but my solution (a stand-alone GUI) will export (or backup) various settings from the MovingPictures database to an XML file. It also allows you to copy all artwork (Cover, Thumb, Alt Covers, Backdrop) to a specified folder or to the folder where the movie file resides. It also stores the watched settings, as well as black / white filter list settings.

I currently have the Export feature working, and am now working on the import. This will allow one to reimport all of the above settings into the MP database without a rescan.

Cheers - TL

Import / Export feature would be great. Movingpictures is an awesome plugin, but it now consumes most of my time whenever I re-install/update MePo. The .nfo creator cut the time that it takes considerable once I discovered it, but it still takes me a long time to manually set the watched/unwatched settings.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Last edited:

spacemanc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2011
    use .nfo creating to ensure correct match
    use trakt plugin to sync watched status.

Now if you reinstall MP it will automatically select correct movies and then will resync watched status.

I use this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ork-and-details-to-movie-folder-v0-5-6.71649/

automatically creates .nfo , folder.jpg +/- backdrop.jpg into movie folder. MovPic can be set to use all 3 when importing.

Thanks for the solution. Even so, it would be great if Moving Pictures integrated the .nfo creation. It would greatly improve it's usability and I imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult? (though that's easy for me to say!)

thlucas

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Import / Export feature would be great. Movingpictures is an awesome plugin, but it now consumes most of my time whenever I re-install/update MePo. The .nfo creator cut the time that it takes considerable once I discovered it, but it still takes me a long time to manually set the watched/unwatched settings.

The tool will export movie information to individual XML files, as well as create .NFO files with the IMDB details link. You can also custom name the artwork files as well -ie folder.jpg for the cover, backdrop.jpg for tha backdrop, etc.

What's really cool though is the ability to backup the watched settings and the custom filters, which get saved as part of the XML file that contains the movie information. Ie everything related to a particular movie is stored in the XML - movie info, local media info, watched settings (including paused playback info), white / black filters and associated custom menus.

I build custom menu items for my movies (ie Kids Movies, Family Movies, etc) and its a real pain to recreate the menus and associate all of the movies to the individual filters whenever I reinstall MP.

I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks, but I should be do e with the tool soon after that. In the interim, you can download and install the pre-release that I have out there. It does not have the import ability, but you can export and generate the XML files to see what they look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom