How to get Audio from both HDMI & Optical ?? (1 Viewer)

luci5r

Portal Pro
May 30, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 Beta
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.6.6
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3Ghz)
HDD: Seagate 6.0Gb/s 2TB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Video Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Video Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF/Optical Out (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Colossus
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
HTPC Case: Rosewill Gear X3
Cooling:
Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series 630W
Remote: Hauppauge 45-Button
TV: Samsung PN63C8000 3D Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI 1.4a

Currently the way I have everything setup - my audio is routed to my home theater receiver using the TOSLink Optical Out; and I get no Audio from my HDMI that is connected to my TV.

How can I get audio out of both my HDMI that is going to the TV & the Optical that is going to the receiver? I'm only able to get audio through my receiver but sometimes (especially for Stereo 2-channel audio recorded from cable) I want to get audio just through the TV and not the receiver.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

luci5r

Portal Pro
May 30, 2011
Home Country

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's basically a Windows limitation - when a video file is played, the audio renderer normally provides the software 'clock' that controls the playback timing (which in turn is normally derived from the audio hardware clock). If two renderers were used, one would have to fed via a resampler (or similar) to accomodate the clock differences (and maybe the channel counts as well), and very few applications support this.

Tony

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    It's basically a Windows limitation - when a video file is played, the audio renderer normally provides the software 'clock' that controls the playback timing (which in turn is normally derived from the audio hardware clock). If two renderers were used, one would have to fed via a resampler (or similar) to accomodate the clock differences (and maybe the channel counts as well), and very few applications support this.

Tony

Well that sucks!!!

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Your TV seem to have a optical output, you can use it to return to the receiver no ?

No! The TOSLink output on TV's does not passthrough multi-channel audio that it recieves via HDMI. It's a technical copyright kind of an issue. Extremely annoying, yet persistent.

I've had a long-running thread in the AVS forum that basically confirmed what you guys stated here. I do need to use audio renderer switching - that's my best bet.

Thanks.

Boke

July 10, 2006
    Your TV seem to have a optical output, you can use it to return to the receiver no ?

No! The TOSLink output on TV's does not passthrough multi-channel audio that it recieves via HDMI. It's a technical copyright kind of an issue. Extremely annoying, yet persistent.

I've had a long-running thread in the AVS forum that basically confirmed what you guys stated here. I do need to use audio renderer switching - that's my best bet.

Thanks.

Some TV's will passthrough multi-channel audio. My Vizio passes through both AC3 and DTS.

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

Thanks.

Some TV's will passthrough multi-channel audio. My Vizio passes through both AC3 and DTS.

You're KIDDING ME!!! That's practically unheard of!! What model Vizio do you have? This I need to research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom