How to get MP2 to work with Hauppauge WinTV 1850 TV card (2 Viewers)

cellsee6

Portal Member
June 26, 2022
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My computer is running Windows 10 Pro. I have installed MP2. Not sure what version.
I have a Hauppauge WinTV 1850 TV card installed. I have Comcast cable so there is a set top box.
I have been searching for hours to try to find information on how to configure the card.
How do I get MP2 configured so it can record using the above card?
Thank you for your help.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How do I get MP2 configured so it can record using the above card?
    If you look on your Windows desktop, you should have a shortcut called something like MP2 TV Server Configuration. Click that to start the "TV Server Configuration" application.

Go to the panel where the TV tuners are listed. See this page in the MP Wiki. If the panel shows your tuners, select one and then scan for channels. There are various pages in the Wiki dealing with the different types of tuners that are supported; read the pages that are appropriate for your tuner types.

If the panel does not show your tuners, I think that you are out of luck, and won't be able to use MediaPortal to watch and record TV.

Please note that American TV is a bit different from TV elsewhere in the world, and sadly there is little knowledge of American TV tuners amongst the MP developers (who are mostly European). Perhaps an existing American MP user who is familiar with your setup will contribute some advice.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    If MP2 doesn't support your TV card I think MP1 will support it.
    I have MP1 working (watching and recording TV) with Hauppauge HVR-1955.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have MP1 working (watching and recording TV) with Hauppauge HVR-1955.
    What signal source are you using? I looked at the specs for the 1850 card, and it seems to contain one analogue tuner and one digital tuner, and is able to receive over-the-air TV broadcasts using an antenna. I would expect MP1/2 to be able to receive those. But @cellsee6 mentions Comcast cable with a set-top-box, and I don't know how that relates to the tuner types supported by MP1/2.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    What signal source are you using? I looked at the specs for the 1850 card, and it seems to contain one analogue tuner and one digital tuner, and is able to receive over-the-air TV broadcasts using an antenna. I would expect MP1/2 to be able to receive those. But @cellsee6 mentions Comcast cable with a set-top-box, and I don't know how that relates to the tuner types supported by MP1/2.

I have Comcast cable with a set-top-box, I use the analogue tuner but I use to have the Comcast cable ATSC digital TV which worked with MP1 x86 on the Hauppauge HVR-1955.
    I think the only way to tell for sure would be to try the card with MP1.
    I have tried my card with MP2 and it is not supported.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 uses the same TV engine as MP1, so it must work also with MP2, you just need to select TVE3 and not TVE3.5 in the installer. MP2 also supports a 3rd TV engine TVMosaic, but this is configured web-based and I can not tell you, if this works with your hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom