How to get optimal setup (codecs etc) after installing MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My specs:

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    CPU Type: AMD Phenom 8750 2.4 GHz
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB
    Memory: OCZ Tech Gold XTC 4GB
    Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4200 (integrated)
    Video Card Driver: 9.12
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC889A (integrated)

Although I consider myself computer literate, I am a bit confused regarding codecs and such. I want to be able to play most files, and use hardware acceleration whenever possible. Here I find a vast space of possible configurations and options. How does one get an optimal setup?

More specific questions:
    - I see that some of the important issues cleared in the newest release are regarding supported codecs. Does that mean that the new release includes some codecs, and thus one should not need to install others?
    - Is SAF still supported/recommended for the new release?
    - What is best of VMR9 and EVR? (and what are the differences)? I run with Aero enabled.
    - What is/does DXVA do?

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    More specific questions:
    - I see that some of the important issues cleared in the newest release are regarding supported codecs. Does that mean that the new release includes some codecs, and thus one should not need to install others?
    - Is SAF still supported/recommended for the new release?
    - What is best of VMR9 and EVR? (and what are the differences)? I run with Aero enabled.
    - What is/does DXVA do?

For most users, SAF *unlocked* is the way to go. As you are on Win7 and use Aero, you can use hardware acceleration in MP, but ONLY if you use EVR.

As long as you have the file type added to the list (Configuration/Video), and SAF installed correctly, MediaPortal should be able to play it. Just wait for 4.00 RC2 though, as RC1 currently won't playback xvid files in MediaPortal 1.1 RC1.

I playback .mkv, .rvmb, .avi, video_ts folders, etc without any problems, and the only extra codec I have installed is CoreAVC 2.0 (but I currently use MPC from SAF to playback h264 files so that's not needed really). I do however use ReClock to get a smoother playback, as my TV is not capable of playing back 24fps material natively.

Emph

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Tjena! Thank you, then I anticipate the release of SAF RC2 :)

My TV is a real cheap one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was incapable of playing 24fps material natively.. How do I notice? Sometimes I see horizontal lines in movies with rapid movements, could that be the same thing? Is ReClock a separate program?

m0use

Portal Pro
    February 6, 2008
    Hi,
    "Sometimes I see horizontal lines in movies with rapid movements, could that be the same thing?" no
    I believe that is becouse you dont have vsync enabled.
    run windows 7 with aero + evr and it should work fine...vmr9 is not supported unless you use windows xp

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    OK, the problem was apparent when using XP, I have not had MP installed since I installed W7 (was waiting for 1.1 RC1) :)

Dittsche

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2009
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to get optimal setup (codecs etc) after installing MediaPortal

is Aero mandatory to have H/W acceleration (and why)? Then especially Win7-MePo's which little CPU-power (like ATOM's) should use this function!

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Tjena! Thank you, then I anticipate the release of SAF RC2 :)

My TV is a real cheap one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was incapable of playing 24fps material natively.. How do I notice? Sometimes I see horizontal lines in movies with rapid movements, could that be the same thing? Is ReClock a separate program?

Hej!

RC2 is available now.

Getting 24fps is mostly only available for full-hd displays. My Panasonic plasma for example can only display 720p @ 50 or 60 hz, so I've chosen to use 50 hz for everything. This means, all my PAL DVDs play back perfectly smooth, 24fps material (23.97) is sped up to 25, i.e. smooth in 50 hz. 29.97 material uses my Nvidia cards "reverse telecine" to 24 fps.

ReClock:
    is an application that installs an extra audio renderer for your system that syncs the audio of your videos to the screen refresh, to ensure a smooth playback. When a 24fps movie is played back on a computer @ 50, 60, 75 or 100 hz, it has to add frames to sync to the audio. This is how computers play back video. But with ReClock, the audio is resampled to match the monitor refresh instead. So the 24fps video is sped up to 25 fps, making it smooth @ 50hz, and ReClock will sync the audio to that new speed.

ReClock is easy to find on Google, and is free and legal. But the site that hosts it, also sells an on-the-fly decrypting software, so I can't link to it here.

Edit: Guide here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...55/guide-stutter-free-playback-reclock-45834/

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom