how to get TV3 Blaster plugin MP 1.13.0 (1 Viewer)

Barry King

Portal Member
December 11, 2015
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've been going through the STB Blasting setup and ran into a problem with IRSS compatibility. I am using MP 1.13.0 and finally downloaded, with help from MP forums a load of IRSS for which I did not have compatibility problems that being version = 1.5.0.101 The documentation shows after IRSS install that a plugin called "TV3 Blaster for IRSS" or something similar should appear in the Plugins section for TV Server Configuration. It is not present. I have IRSS running as a service and it appears as a plugin in the MediaPortal Configuration windows. Do I have to download the TV3 Blaster Plugin separately and if so where would I find this plugin ?

Thanks,
Barry

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Barry

The documentation shows after IRSS install that a plugin called "TV3 Blaster for IRSS" or something similar should appear in the Plugins section for TV Server Configuration.
    That's only correct if you choose to install the plugin during IRSS installation. If you do not tick the appropriate option then the plugin won't be installed, and you'll have to uninstall and reinstall IRSS to get it.

It is not present.
    As above: you have to say that you want to install it during the IRSS install process.

I have IRSS running as a service and it appears as a plugin in the MediaPortal Configuration windows.
    That's fine. (y)

Do I have to download the TV3 Blaster Plugin separately and if so where would I find this plugin ?
    No, you don't download it separately. Question answered above.

Regards,
    mm

P.S.: I expect you will have lots more questions as you progress. Maybe it would be good to just have one thread rather than start a new thread for each question. From my perspective it's easier to help you that way. ;)

Barry King

Portal Member
    December 11, 2015
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hello MM as you anticipated I am having further questions. Sorry its been a while but just got back to this setup. I have went through the learning remote steps and went to the STB section to map the commands. I tested several 3 number channel numbers and it appears that the blaster is sending the correct IR commands. My problem is that the same is not true when using my HP MCE remote or my Microsoft Keyboard. I can use the remote for starting mediaportal, going to LiveTV, volume control, and the other media buttons seem to traverse within mediaportal. However when I press a 3 digit channel with the remote the blaster has no output ? I'm guessing this is simple but I am new to this software.

Thanks for any help,
    BK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Barry

...as you anticipated I am having further questions. Sorry its been a while but just got back to this setup.
    No worries, and no need to apologise. :)

I have went through the learning remote steps and went to the STB section to map the commands. I tested several 3 number channel numbers and it appears that the blaster is sending the correct IR commands.
    Good... but that's only the first step. I'll elaborate more below.

My problem is that the same is not true when using my HP MCE remote or my Microsoft Keyboard. I can use the remote for starting mediaportal, going to LiveTV, volume control, and the other media buttons seem to traverse within mediaportal. However when I press a 3 digit channel with the remote the blaster has no output ? I'm guessing this is simple but I am new to this software.
    Actually, setting up a blaster is not simple at all. It's one of the hardest setups you can do with MediaPortal. ;)

You should think of the function of the remote and/or keyboard as completely separate and independent from the blaster. The buttons you press on the remote/keyboard never ever get sent to the blaster. Rather, the purpose of the remote/keyboard is simply to enable to you traverse within and control MediaPortal. That's it. Nothing more than that.

Whenever TV Server needs to select a channel on the STB - which might be when you're selecting a channel in MediaPortal, or when a recording is starting (which doesn't involve MediaPortal at all) - the TV3 Blaster Plugin will tell IRSS to blast the channel's channel number to the STB.

So...
    When you use a blaster to control a STB, the first step after connecting it is to install IRSS + TV3 Blaster plugin and learn/test the IR codes as you've done. The next step is to create and/or configure channels.

Some questions (to enable me to help you properly)...

Have you got all your channels listed in TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels section?
    If yes, how did they get there?
    (Answers might be: you created them all manually, or you imported them using the SchedulesDirect plugin etc.)

What tuner/capture card(s) do you have? (Answers might be: Hauppauge Colossus, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-**** etc.)

How have you connected the STB video output to your tuner/capture card? (Answer is expected to be one of: HDMI, component, s-video, composite or RF/coax.)
    How have you connected the STB audio output to your tuner/capture card? (Answer is expected to be one of: HDMI, S/PDIF, RCA (stereo red/white) or RF/coax.)

Regards,
    mm

Barry King

Portal Member
    December 11, 2015
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I added the channels I wanted manually. I chose them from the STB lineup and gave them the associated number that my sat service provider gave them. The tuner card I'm using is the ViXS Pure TV Analog TV Tuner hooked up with S-Video for Video and RCA for audio. When going to TV on MediaPortal I am getting the proper image coming through as well as sound. I just have to change the channels with my STB remote instead of being able to use my MCE remote currently.

BK

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm not sure that a direct channel # input works. Usually you scroll through your program guide to the channel you want to watch and hit enter.
    If there is a way to do the direct channel change via the number pad, I would be glad to hear about it, MM.
    As far as I understood other postings here, pressing, for example, the numbers 54, it would not change to channel 54 but to the channel which is the 54th in your channel list.
    But as always, I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @spachti
    As far as I understood other postings here, pressing, for example, the numbers 54, it would not change to channel 54 but to the channel which is the 54th in your channel list.
    This behaviour is configurable.
    "Direct channel change" as you're calling it can work.
    Requirement 1: your channels must be configured with the channel numbers you wish to use (ie. the channel number field shown -->here<-- must be filled correctly).
    Requirement 2: untick the "select channel by index..." setting in MediaPortal Configuration, as described -->here<--.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the answers Barry.

I added the channels I wanted manually. I chose them from the STB lineup and gave them the associated number that my sat service provider gave them. The tuner card I'm using is the ViXS Pure TV Analog TV Tuner hooked up with S-Video for Video and RCA for audio.
    Okay, so to be clear...
    When you manually created those channels, you would have filled the fields shown here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...s/Add_or_Edit_a_Channel#Analog_tuning_details

The key fields are:
    1. Channel - which must be filled with the channel number for the corresponding STB channel.
    2. Video source - given that you're using S-Video, I'd assume you have this set to SVHS #1/2/3.
    3. Audio source - given that you're using RCA, I'd assume you have this set to Line In #1/2/3.
    If that's the case your channel tuning details are configured correctly. (y)

The only other requirement to have the blaster work is to ensure you restarted the TV service after you enabled the TV3 Blaster plugin. It's only a little thing, but lots of people seem to trip up on this.

Once you've done the above (and assuming your IR codes are learnt correctly, and the various other TV3 Blaster plugin blaster settings - delays, # digits etc. - are configured correctly), you should be able to select channels in the MediaPortal guide... and the blaster should just work.

Now, if you're like spachti and you want to be able to press 54 on your remote to view channel 54 (rather than the 54th channel in the list) then you also need to do the two things I described in my response to spachti. Note that the reason for having 2 channel numbers fields is to enable you to set your own channel numbers if you prefer.

Barry King

Portal Member
    December 11, 2015
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Unfortunately I have totally rebooted my HTPC tried going to both the channel display as well as the guide as it stands. Neither one produced any output to the blaster but as mentioned in a previous post, I have tested in the tuner/channel setup windows with a full multiple number channel being sent to the blaster. My guide is just basic default data without any programming information contained. My guess is if it works with the test facility it should also work from the MediaPortal input as well ? There must be something I'm missing ?

BK[DOUBLEPOST=1450632370][/DOUBLEPOST]Just went to your link and re-read in full the procedures. I am having problems with your documentation. The links you send contain different information from what I am finding through google and forum searches. Could account for some issues. Perhaps if you could send the link to your current documentation I may not have to bother you as much. Many of the pages I find state by the developer at the top that the information in the pages are needing updating.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My guess is if it works with the test facility it should also work from the MediaPortal input as well ?
    Yes, if everything else is configured correctly.

There must be something I'm missing ?
    Given that it isn't working, I'd have to assume you have too... but unfortunately in this position on the opposite side of the world it's quite difficult for me to help.

I am having problems with your documentation. The links you send contain different information from what I am finding through google and forum searches. Could account for some issues.
    What are you hoping to find by searching?

I'm very confident that the directions I've given you are complete and correct. Having said that, I haven't been specific with regards to the TV3 Blaster plugin configuration, because it sounded like you had that under control. Perhaps you've made a mistake there. For example, are you sure that you've selected/configured the correct tab (there's one tab per tuner) within the TV3 Blaster plugin -> STB Setup?

Perhaps if you could send the link to your current documentation I may not have to bother you as much. Many of the pages I find state by the developer at the top that the information in the pages are needing updating.
    Some of the pages in our wiki (manual) are indeed marked as incomplete or outdated for various reasons. In those cases there is no newer/current documentation. What you find is what there is.

Honestly, you're not doing me any favours by not bothering me. In fact at this particular time I'd much rather you stopped the google searches (because there's a good chance that much of the information you find will be misleading) and provide the TV Server + IRSS log files and screenshots of your TV3 Blaster plugin settings. That will hopefully enable me to spot the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom