[Usability] How to improve the Onscreen-Keyboard (1 Viewer)

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello

often my patience is overtaxed if i use the Onscreen-Keyboard provided in MediaPortal to input some text, i.e. when renaming Files, using WorldMap or other Plugs wich needs text inputs ...

so my idea was: how about text dial with the number-pad on the remote control...??

i doesn't know wich is the correct phrase in english fort that, but i meaning to use the number-keys on the remote like the way, you use the the number-keys on your mobile when writing an SMS message...

so the letters can change by a couple clicks on a number-key..i.e.:

1x key "2" = A
2x key "2" = B
3x key "2" = C
4x key "2" = 2

and so on...

so you can also use the "1" to generate some signs like space and . , - ! ? etc... and the "0" to toggle between small letters and capital letters...

i think, not all remotes provides the "#" and "*" keys, like my do... but the 1 to 0 keys will be enough for text inputs...

on many remotes there are the letters printed above the keys, just as on mobiles, for example hauppauge do so... but additionally displaying the numberpad with the assigned letters on screen will be helpful... and simply adding the possibility to switch between text dial and the standard-onscreen-keyboard will fits for every user...

i think, a great number of people have practice to text-dial, so maybe that can be an good idea to improve the text-inputs in MP ??

thanks for your great work, keep on burning and happy christmas too ;-)

best regards
resa

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 good idea.

But you don't need to toggle between a "text dial" and onscreen keyboard, they both be active at the same time.

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    additionally to say: you can use the Channel Up/Down to walk backward/forwards in the text and dedicate another Key for Del/Backspace... and it will be perfect to handle...:)

are there generally any comments from the developers for this improvment, if this can/will be done?

best regards
    resa

stalkersvr

Portal Member
    April 12, 2009
    And don't forget for support non latin characters - cyrillic (russian) as example. There are to-o-o-o-o-o hard find music without national characters!!

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I second that! We need to be able to input non-latin characters.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Another annoying feature is that you cannot move the cursor in the text entered without deleting it. So, if you need to rename

MyHoomeVideosPartI720p.avi

to

MyHomeVideosPartI720p.avi

you have to delete almost all of the text to just change a misspelling.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i doesn't know wich is the correct phrase in english fort that, but i meaning to use the number-keys on the remote like the way, you use the the number-keys on your mobile when writing an SMS message...

so the letters can change by a couple clicks on a number-key..i.e.:

1x key "2" = A
    2x key "2" = B
    3x key "2" = C
    4x key "2" = 2

and so on...
    There is already an SMS keyboard in MP but it does not really get used anywhere.

I have not had chance to look at it yet but I believe we have reworked the keyboard for 1.2 (0003227: Add SMS-style input to standard virtual keyboard and remove separate sms keyboard - MediaPortal Bugtracker) so you have access to both types of keyboard and are not dependant on the code choosing which keyboard type to use.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AW: Re: How to improve the Onscreen-Keyboard

I have not had chance to look at it yet but I believe we have reworked the keyboard for 1.2 (0003227: Add SMS-style input to standard virtual keyboard and remove separate sms keyboard - MediaPortal Bugtracker) so you have access to both types of keyboard and are not dependant on the code choosing which keyboard type to use.

Which is working great! Just be patient for the next release :)

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!

@jameson, stig: ohm, just see, my post was more than an year ago, i think i was using 0.5.3 or some like that... at this time...

and now there was another 5 months crossed the jordan for me to reply... :D

anyway, i've just saw your recently Beta-anouncement and that 1.2 will have such input alternative, and i am really happy bout that... just tuned in at the right time to notice that, so that's i calling: good timing

Cant' wait for 1.2 to come out of beta :D

Thank you for all the work.

regards,
    resa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom