How To Install a MPE1 Plugin File in MediaPortal2 (1 Viewer)

MartyWakat

Portal Member
January 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
As the title states I would love some assistance explaining how to install a plugin into Mediaportal2. The plugin is for Schedules Direct EPG Client. I have already setup my SD account and set my lineup but I cannot find out how to install the plugin so that I can go into MediaPortal2 TV Configurator and click on PlugIns to enable and configure it. The name of the plugin file is SchedulesDirectPlugin-1.11.0.2.MPE1 and I cant figure out how to load the file. This is for MediaPortal2. I find tons of references to MPEM (Media Portal Extensions Manager) but I belive thats all for version 1 as I cant find it anywhere in my install.

I would greatly appreciate some help.
martywakat@yahoo.com

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
Certainly there is absolute no way for adding MP1 plugins into MP2 installations ... AFAIK!

But maybe the plugins functions was implemented into MP2 itself already? ;)
Or maybe there is an similar plugin for MP2 already? ;)
Try looking a bit more around through the forums, maybe there is another solution/workaround already? ;)

And last but not least you can try if using stable MP1 along all the wished plugins satisfy you a bit more instead the still-alpha MP2 (what is before beta and far from release candidate).

Good luck and best regards.

P.S. Only to be complete, one exeption maybe exists -> IF you have installed the MP1-TVServer as backend together with MP2-Client as frontend (if this is still possible anymore) AND IF the concerned plugin is stricktly affecting the TVServer only without any single dependencies on/for/with the client side THEN this can work MAYBE and every single action (any use and any config) is and can only be done from within the TVServers configuration panel. BUT in that case you should really already have noticed some icons for MPEM and/or "TVServer Configuration" on your Desktop (or at least within Start/Pogramms/Team-Mediaportal), so i dont think that this applys to your situation.

Last edited:

MartyWakat

Portal Member
January 16, 2016
Home Country
Thank you for the response. I was under the impression Mediaportal 2 was far beyond alpha or beta stage and that pretty much all development now was going to be on 2 and not 1 anymore. It sounds like I'd be best off to do a full delete of Mediaportal 2 and then install and setup version 1 and see how things go.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for the response. I was under the impression Mediaportal 2 was far beyond alpha or beta stage and that pretty much all development now was going to be on 2 and not 1 anymore. It sounds like I'd be best off to do a full delete of Mediaportal 2 and then install and setup version 1 and see how things go.
    The comment from Resa is not correct, MP2 was alpha 2 years before. It's still under heavy development, but at least beta. So, if you have a positive impression, there is no need to uninstall it.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The above post of Resa isn't true (or no longer true since "ages") in lot parts, so please try this first before delete MP2. MP2 is the future, MP1 ist the past.
    TV Server plugins generally are working the same in MP1 and MP2. For schedules direct there are some threads in the forum with exact guides. One example:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/a-couple-mp2-questions.131324/#post-1144141

still-alpha MP2
    Not true since more than a year now... Last "Alpha" version is from 2014.

Only to be complete, one exeption maybe exists -> IF you have installed the MP1-TVServer as backend together with MP2-Client as frontend (if this is still possible anymore)
    This is not the only way, it (still ) is one of the ways but with limited features in TV area. MP1 Client plugins did not work in MP2 and they never will be. But TV Server Plugins are (mostly) working the same way as MP2 uses the same TV engine than MP1... Only difference is that MP2 did not come with mpei tool (and as far as I know a MP1- TV Server only installation also don't do) so you need to install (means unpack, rename and copy one or more .dll files) manually. For Schedules Direct there are ready made archives available since a long time now as it is one out of only two ways for US- users to get a proper EPG... Here in Europe we have lot options for EPG, but in US there aren't. The "other" way is to use zap2it:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/xmltv-install-configure-for-atsc-ota-u-s-a.133048/

TVServer Configuration" on your Desktop (or at least within Start/Pogramms/Team-Mediaportal), so i dont think that this applys to your situation.
    Ther definitely is an icon for "TVServer Configuration" on desktop and start menu if the MP2 installtion did not fail...

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    I am definitely liking the overall impression of MedialPortal 2 at the moment so I will try and stick with it to see if I can get it like my Windows Media Center PC was setup. I am using a Hauppauge DCR 2650 with a cablecard and Time Warner Cable. All worked perfect on Windows 7 with WMC but of course had to eventually get a new PC and I am trying to setup with Window 10. At the moment my MediaPortal did not pick up all my channels and it appears many of the channels did not load in the scan.....mostly HD channels using switched digital video and a tuning adapter. I definitely dont mind the work setting up and configuring if its possible to get it back to how it used it be.

Using MediaPortal 2 should I be able to get my Hauppauge DCR-2650 w/cablecard to work with all my channels with the EPG displaying a listing of channels?

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Unpack the included file and place the 2 files into
    Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\Plugins
    Restart the MP2 Server in process control.

Start TV Setup, go to plugin's, enable Schedules Direct.
    Configure the plugin with user name and such
    Restart the MP2 Server in process control

this should now download the channel info.

Attachments

• SD_MP2_TVE3.7z
      134.8 KB

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please be aware that the plugin version might not be compatible. I had to recompile the plugin few weeks before and posted it inside a thread here. Forum search might show it up quickly.

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What a massive response :p

@MartyWakat (and also to all people participating here):

First of all i have to confirm your impressions mainly, MP2 is in fact under heavy developement and of course huge efforts in development, if not the most already, is dedicated straight to enhance MP2. But also developing on MP1 is still in progress and you still find an bigger selcetion of skins, plugins and functions with MP1.

Beside the fact i was obviously being trapped by the unusual marketing-name convention for MP2 releases (things like "Summer thinigie XY" instead straight version up-numbering like used for MP1) and by the website still tells me about the project status is "Alpha 4" what all together has me accidentially overlook the fact that MP2 has already leaved alpha and is beta now ... MP2 is beta after all ;)

@MartyWakat , let me be clear with you here: My intention was all other things in world, but surely not to force you leaving MP2 immediatially and at all costs and also not to bash on MP2 arbitrarily. I was only pointing for the possibility to give MP1 a try also if you fell in deeper trouble with your project. Because of that i purposely putted the section/paragraph with this specific suggestion at the end of my list and have started it with the words "Last but not least", what means: If you have tried all other ways and options, then i can confirm for MP1 is worth a try too.

Why i made this suggestion? Because i am using MediaPortal since about 2006/7 and now approaching my 10th anual being an Mediaportal-User :D I have seen all the ups and all the downs from version to version, i have seen all the improvements was made and have faced all the big issues that treated us from time to time some years back. But since more than 3 or 4 years MP1 is constantly reliable and getting more stable with every new version. To emphasize here: We ONLY! use MP1 for ALL! media related tasks here since years, not only me, on every single day and for every single minute of watching or recording TV, listen to radio, enjoying Movies, TV-Shows and Music, streaming news and documentarys from our national stations. And if there nothing is played, we have actual news-feed and wheather on the screen all the time. There is no antenna-cable attached to any TV-Set here, but 3 of them are attached to the Multiseat-Server along GBit ethernet. So please believe me in one thing: if i expecting, no, if we requesting and demanding for one thing MePo has to accomplish, than this is that it has to be stable. And MP1 is! The long way was truly worth all of it, there is not any single Mediacenter-Software out there in the world that can compare with MP1, not in the least.

On the other hand; Sure! Of course i am checking MP2 from time to time in order to see how the development is developing so far ;) My last noticeable experience was around late summer '15 and i can use no other words than this was an catastrophal expierence for me personally. Installation failed repeatedly even on fresh and blank system, then there was no way to get any of the TVServers running properly, not the old one, not the new one and the promised possibility for paralell install them both and toggle between them was the end of the whole windows-installation :D With the feeling of all canons are aiming on my back again, please believe me: I am really fine with that! MP2 is in development, i understand that and i am respect that. Truly i do! And i am aware about the fact, that getting MP2 running properly was and is possible, if i only find enough nerves to go deeper into it. But i haven't at the moment nor i haven't all that time to workaround it all out to get it working. But there is MP1 and it works like a charme, there is MP1 and it looks great with StreamedMP. So everything is really fine. And i can't await the day i replacing MP1 with the first acceptable stable MP2 version, but this time has to come first.

Again, @MartyWakat : Please do tryout MP2 intensively first and use all the other ways and options i have suggested you first and care about all the recommendations from other posters you will be pointed to in here. And if you feel sitting in dead end, THEN please give MP1 an try and do not switch over to another software ;) I can't be more clear to wipe out the massive misunderstandings in this thread :D

My requierements and experiences on MePo are different from yours as they are different to many other peoples. Thank you and good luck again with your project.

The comment from Resa is not correct, MP2 was alpha 2 years before. It's still under heavy development, but at least beta. So, if you have a positive impression, there is no need to uninstall it.

+1 for: if MP2 fits then there is no need to uninstall it overhasty, was also not my intention to say so.

@ge2301 : I am sorry that i haven't realised that MP2 is beta already. I have no problem to stay in for my faults and i am sorry about telling it wrong. I really haven't noticed it. And this was because for these reasons, and i telling this to clarify why i was in error, not to excuse my error:

1). The naming convention that is used for MP2 releases looks unusual to me, especially compared to the straight version up-numbering that is used for MP1. When visiting the download page and reading "Version 1.13.0" on the left and "Summer '15 Update 1 Release" on the right, it seems to me like:

- On the left something is used that i can comprehend, something real, something is upcounting, something is progessing, something i can compare directly.
    - On the right something is used that sounds abstract, sounds like hipster marketing term that was choosen in order to conceal something and is not directly comparable.

2). Due to the fact the real project status is somewhat more like an hidden information on the website, i tend to more believe on my own experiences instead accepting those abstract release name to be something serious. I am talking about the circumstance you have to search on subpages and among all the text using small fonts for the information that MP2 is currently alpha, beta or whatever. What kind of information is more important than the software you attempting to download is alpha, beta, pre-release, release candidate, stable, snapshot?! ;)

3). Even if you go on this safari to find out what status the project is currently in you will find the following information in the very first place today:

Projektstatus

MediaPortal 1:
    - Download: 1.13.0
    - Status: 1.13.0 Final veröffentlicht (<- transl.: finally released)

[What seems to be very accurate and actual information]

MediaPortal 2:
    - Download: Alpha 4

[What seems to be the outdated information i trapped into here]

You can have a look on the screenshot attached to this post in order to verify this, maybe you want to correct this. I recommend you to maybe think also about an better, more transparent, way of communicate MP2's status and naming the things what they are in an more visible way, no Problem with "Summer Bummer Lolipop", if there is a small Version-Number followed by "beta" placed directly below that. There is no need to force people into MP2 by hiding some uncomfortable facts, but there is need to make this facts easily accessible to those, who are waiting for MP2 to evolute from beta. You know?

Again, don't interpret this as an cheap attempt for excuse my fault. I know that i should have gone into changelog, git-hub, sourcefroge, tracker, forum and whatever else more, to know about the real development-status in detail but i don't have done this, because MP2 is currently not relevant enough for me to investigate that deep. I promise to never rely again only on one single information that i have noticed somewhere on the main page in future if i attempt to pass such information to others here in the forum, i will try to double cross-check them first.

@ge2301 and @Lehmden too: To come to an end now and AFTER ALL you should know about me: If i calling MP2 alpha instead beta this was more likely a formal mistake by me, without any intentions to rate or judge over MP2 or whatever was misunderstood in here. I always try to care about my recommendations and opinions are always based on my experiences mainly. But i also use my human right for free speech when telling my opinion and not doing any egg-dance, i prefer to be man of clear words. Especially in here, there is never any kind of offending, insultaion, disparage etc. on my mind ... but there is open, straight talking, constructive, informative, kind of cooperation and nothing more. I am living with MePo, i spreading MePo, i loving MePo, i donated MePo, i need MePo, i look pleasingly forward for next MePo versions no matter if MP1or2... so for what reason i should inadequately comply about MePo? Sometime it seems that a bit often the reactions are a bit to hypersensitive in here and a bit too often there is seen instantly an offending attack in each divergent opinion or experiences and in any reasonable criticsism. Not under every stone something bad is lurking. Don't argue with opposition, take them and turn it into constructivism.

in lot parts,

@Lehmden : I am sorry that i have unknowingly become such an bad-a** kind of guy in your eyes over the years, that you have to escalate my shame to "a lot" :D

please try this first before delete MP2.

+1 and this was also my recommended to first try all the other resources to solve issues, not to instantly delete MP2 ;)

MP2 is the future, MP1 ist the past.

Unfulfilled still the wishes, disowned what is proven? :D
    Nein nein, little twinkle to peek you only, no real offending.

What you think about saying such things more moderate?
    MP2 is the future, MP1 is the present.

Not true since more than a year now... Last "Alpha" version is from 2014.

Ja ja, i am sorry for my mistake with that, i have overseen this, please read above for more.

This is not the only way, it (still ) is one of the ways but with limited features in TV area. MP1 Client plugins did not work in MP2 and they never will be. But TV Server Plugins are (mostly) working the same way as MP2 uses the same TV engine than MP1... Only difference is that MP2 did not come with mpei tool so you need to install (means unpack, rename and copy one or more .dll files) manually.

Honestly, i can't see the point you are concerning that harsh about me, as well as i cant see those "lot parts" where i was wrong. Ok, i am guilty for blasphemy due to call MP2 alpha and not beta, sort of present for you ;) But furthermore we are congruent in what we both have written? Is my english that bad suddenly? ;)

So we agree both with the following: MP1-Client plugins was, can, will NEVER be useable with MP2-Client. When using MP1-Server along MP2-Client, you CAN use plugins that are created for MP1-Server. What you not directly have said, but seems to be a logic consequence, if an plugin basicially is created for the MP1-Server but also has dependencies with the MP1-Client (i.e. frontend gui-additions, i think TsBufferExtractor maybe is such an candidate) then this plugin will not work without problems in an MP1-Server+MP2-Client combo setup. since there is simply no MP1-Client. All correct?

If so, then we agreeing to each other posts in most parts and shake hands now please :D

The only thing that sounds new to me here is, that MP2-Server seems being removed from the MP2 setup somehow or i understand that wrong? What happend to MP2-Server, is development on hold only? Is it currently still possible to install MP2-Server at all? If i remember my last intensive MP2 test-session right, i was able to choose between MP1-Server or MP2-Server and also paralell installing both of them and toggling between them was called possible?! Anyway, if now MP1-Server is installed with MP2 setup in default then this affects only on my guess, that the TO presumably has not an MP1-S+MP2-C combo-setup and it now turns out, that he has tough (but i was also not completely ruled out to be possible). How the MP2-Server story continues (an link to regarding discussion-thread is enough and would be nice)?

(and as far as I know a MP1- TV Server only installation also don't do)

Here i maybe can pass some information over to you, that are new for you too today ;) Casually i just today have installed an MP1-Server only enviroment (using the final-1.13.0 setup-exe). I have choosen advanced setup and then server only. I can confirm, that MPEI will be automatically installed too under these circumstances and is working well ;)

Some short Questions about this, if you have a minute (or somebody else).... Is it an good idea to use MP1-Setup for installing MP1-Server only and then using MP2-Setup for installing MP2-Client only in order to avoid the manual dll-copy etc. for getting the MPEI, what do you think? And what about MP1 single seat setup and then using MP2 only for MP2-Client install in order to use MP1+MP2-Clients on same machine on the MP1-Server, will that work out well currently?

Thanks a lot and please don't feel so heavily attacked every time someone is sharing not so perfect experiences with MP2 or recommends for MP1 depending on his experiences. Nobody is hating MP2 i think. At least i can say that i do not hate MP2 or thinking bad about it, but i can't accept its status for use as productive system currently, thats all. And this experience is all i share with others having problems with MP2, not more is in here. And like it makes no sense to bash MP2 as i was misunderstood in here today, it makes no sense to bash MP1. Additionally it makes no sense to blandish about MP2. There are users that need or prefer a rock-solid stable system, what MP1 can deliver often enough, and not cares about a bit better hardware is needed to run it smoothly. MP2 has still way to many problems and there are way to many functions/plugins are missing. If this not applys for you or others this is really fine, but here and for another others this applys. Please resepect that a bit more. Believe me that i will be the first one to switch for MP2 as soon as it is called RC and something like StreamedMP is available for it. ASAP. ;)

Thanks and i hope we can all together go back to normal now, nice weekend for all and the very best regards ;)

website.png

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But since more than 3 or 4 years MP1 is constantly reliable and getting more stable with every new version.
    This may be your personal experience, but mine is the opposite. With every new release of MP1 more and more unneeded breaking changes are introduced, the system was getting more complex and it was far away from being stable at all. Here even the old Alpha Builds of MP2 were working much more stable... And the TV Server never was reliable as it depends on a full blown SQL server to be up and running before TV server can start at all. On 99% of all system starts this did not work here (no matter if I use MySQL or SQL Express) so the TV server never did start with Windows as it should be... Need to start TV server manually with a batch to get schedules working at all...
    I can remember I was developing a skin for MP1 and needed to start three times from scratch because there are changes that breaks the skin compatibility in every new version. This was my last attempt to work on MP1...:mad:

it looks great with StreamedMP
    This is something I definitely can not agree. SMP is so huge, it's so slow and it is really not even half as good looking as e.g. PureVision or even DefaultWide... But I always would prefer SMP over Titan. This "candy store" skin I never liked and never will be. The most beautiful skin I've seen is dead since years:cry:, it was Backdrop.

So we agree both with the following: MP1-Client plugins was, can, will NEVER be useable with MP2-Client.
    Yes. This is a fact. Client plugins needs to be ported over to MP2 if you want to use them (as example, OnlineVideos was ported from MP1 to MP2)...

was able to choose between MP1-Server or MP2-Server
    This never was possible at all. You always need the MP2-Server as it is the core of any MP2- architecture. Long time ago you could select if you want to use the new TV Engine 3.5 (only available for MP2 up to now) or the MP1-TV server with MPExtended as TV source. The MPExtended solution has limited features and as MPE development is dead since ages we could not get a nice TV solution based on any of those TV sources. A year ago we decided to not wait any longer for TVE 3.5 hitting at least Alpha state (here you have your beloved ;) Alpha, Beta or whatever) so we use the TV Engine 3.0 (not the TV server from MP1!) as primary TV source. Ever since then the TVE 3.0 is part of the MP2 Server installation. As TV only is a simple plugin inside the MP2- server you still can use the old (depend on your POV) TVE3.5 or MPExtended plugins like before. But every average user of MP2 has a full blown TV solution installed with MP2 automatically... And as the TV engine is nearly identical to the Engine used in MP1- TV server you can use (most of the) MP1 TV server plugins in MP2 too... This definitely is true for the schedules direct plugin that was the start of this topic...

MP2-Server seems to was being removed from the MP2 setup somehow or i understand it wrong?
    This you understand completely wrong. As told before the MP2-Server is the core part of every MP2 installation. TV only is a single plugin inside the MP2-Server. And this single plugin is exchanged a year ago from TVE 3.5 "pre Alpha" to TVE3.0 "Stable"...

Is it an good idea to use MP1-Setup for installing MP1-Server only and then using MP2-Setup for installing MP2-Client only in order to avoid the manual dll-copy etc. for getting the MPEI, what do you think?
    This did not work, as you still need the MP2-Server and aside this the MPEI will install the plugins to the wrong place when using MP2...

MP2 is beta after all
    And here you have missed another step. We have decided to not use Alpha or Beta any longer as this did not match the real status of the MP2 development at all. If you really need to add such a label then MP2 is "Stable" since a year now! Means all parts are reliable and working (imho much more reliable than MP1 ever was) But as MP2 still is not feature complete (at the end of this year we probably are close to be feature complete) we also do not like to use the term "Stable" that much... That's why there is no such label any more and probably never will be back again...

What you think about saying such things more moderate?
    MP2 is the future, MP1 is the present.
    Because I can not see MP1 is the present. Eating up so much resources, the need for full set of metadata on every client, no future support for mobile devices (MPExtended is a) proprietary and b) dead since years) all this is something for the first decade of the 21st century, not for the second...
    Don't get me wrong, this did not mean it is not working as you may like it. My Vespa (my main transport vehicle) is from the 20th Century, and it is still working like a charm. I never will exchange it with a modern Chinese or Japanese scooter, never ever... But I know I have to live without ABS and with a high fuel consumption (twice as much as a modern e.g. Honda) if I want to drive Vespa. If I have to suggest a scooter for a newbie I definitely would not suggest to buy an old Vespa as a modern "Chinese" is cheaper a lot and easier to maintain. Modern Vespas (yes they are build up to today) are really expensive so not that good choice for a beginner... Later if the driver is more experienced he can decide on his own what he wants...

The naming convention that is used for MP2 releases looks unusual to me, especially compared to the straight version up-numbering that is used for MP1.
    Also old fashioned vs modern attempt... A version numbering is an completely abstract thing that didn't say nothing about the real status. In a few years you will not remember which version of MP1 was recent today. But if it is called "Summer 15" you always will know it is from the year 2015...

I can confirm, that MPEI will be automatically installed too under these circumstances
    Ok, thanks. That is indeed a new one to me. As I have used MP1 (it's long ago) this was definitely not the case and, even worse it was called "impossible" as MPEi would need too much parts of an MP1 Client to work... Looks as if it was not that impossible at all...;)

By the way, I did not know where you get that screenshot from. I can't reach this page at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom