How To Install a MPE1 Plugin File in MediaPortal2 (1 Viewer)

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please be aware that the plugin version might not be compatible. I had to recompile the plugin few weeks before and posted it inside a thread here. Forum search might show it up quickly.
    The one I posted is the updated version that worked for me when I was using SD.

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    As an update,

I am sticking with MediaPortal2 and am liking most everything so far. I did decide to abandon the tv portion of it as I came to the realization that no matter how I configure it with whatever plugins, I will never get my full lineup of channels with all the guide data. I know I can configure plugins to fetch the EPG data but with my cable provider here in the US (Time Warner Cable) a vast majority of my channels are encrypted through the cable card and the tuning adapter required by them and will never be able to play through Mediaportal or any other tuning software for windows 10. The only reason this all worked pretty well before on my Windows7 setup with Windows Media Center is cause Microsoft paid the very large fees to CableLabs for certification to their cablecard product.

I will use Mediaportal for everything else and I have a question I can't figure out regarding media sources. I have a few network drives and am having a problem adding one of them. This particular drive does not appear in Windows explorer normally under network but is available through a mapped drive letter I have pointing directly to the assigned ip on the network. In Mediaportal when I choose to add a network resource it appears all that shows here is the same network list in explorer which doesn't show this drive. If I choose to manually add the path I'm not sure of the proper syntax. The mapped path would be something like M:\Movies\ or a unc path like \\192.168.1.110\GoFlex Home Public\ but neither appear to be accepted when I type those in. What would be the proper way to add this particular network drive?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you want to add Network shares to MP2 Server you first need to enter your credentials. This can be found in MP2-Client GUI in Settings - Server Settings. At this time it is possible to enter only one set of credentials, so all your NAS must be reachable from the same user with the same password... In future you will be able to add credentials separate for every share, but this is not yet implemented.

Mapped drive letters are not supported and probably never will be as the mapping is available only after login to Windows. As MP2-Server is a service it can run without a user logged in. So a mapped drive letter is not surely available when MP2-Server is running...

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    What about a unc path. I've entered in network creditials already. It's kind of an odd setup cause it's two of the same exact network drive. It's a GoFlex Home. The network name for this decide can't be changed so Windows never shows both of them only one. They both have the same login and password required and one is loaded fine in Mediaportal and the other isn't. Only one shows up under the list of available network sources even though they are they exact same drives with the exact same creditials. If the device let me change the network name then it would probably show up and I can just select it in Mediaportal but since they have the same network name only one ever shows up. If Mediaportal will take a unc path then that would work.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If Mediaportal will take a unc path then that would work

In this case you would have to enter this path manually in the format you posted above:
    unc path like \\192.168.1.110\GoFlex Home Public\

If this doesn't work inside the media source configuration, please collect logfiles and a screenshot and add them here for further diagnosis.

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Yea I tried the unc path exactly as you typed in the above post. That's the exact path that works to map the drive. Seems like it was wanting a more complex path. I will try again and see what the messages might have been and take a screen cap. The only reason I asked about using a mapped drive letter was I saw that you could use a mapped drive letter in Mediaportal 1 as I had no problem setting up all my network sources in that version.

I appreciate all the help. Thanks guys.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The network name for this decide can't be changed so Windows never shows both of them only one.
    This is a massive bug in your NAS that automatically leads to:

They both have the same login and password required and one is loaded fine in Mediaportal and the other isn't.
    As per Definition every system in a SMB (Samba, Windows Shares) network needs to have a unique name as you always have to be able to access a device by it's name. If the name really can not be changed you should return the NAS (both of them) and ask for a refund...

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    I agree it's a big bug in that model. I guess they didn't think people would own more than one of them. I contacted them a couple years back on this and they said it couldn't be changed. Since they had different ip's and I could easily map to separate drive letters I have just used it as is for years since windows media center took mapped drive letters no problem. I have moved on to a different model called the GoFlex Central but I still have those two 2 TB drives that work great except for that one flaw and I'd love to continue to use them in medialportal if possible.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can buy a cheap USB case and attach one of the 2 TB drives directly to your HTPC via USB as example. You only need a screwdriver to do this. Or probably at least one HDD can be build into your HTPC so you don't need any external cases...
    I have ten (yes 10 ;) ) HDD build into my main HTPC and this is working perfect.

since windows media center took mapped drive letters
    WMC is not a service, it's an app that only can be run if logged in to Windows. That's why it's possible to support mapped drive letters. But this also has lots of drawbacks especially if you want the HTPC to record TV shows automatically.

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Well I got the network drives all added correctly. That one drive finally did let me add the unc path. Not sure what the problem was before....I never had errors it just wouldn't let me click the continue button. Now it's all added fine and all my media is there. I am getting close to a finished functional install. My next questions have to do with media metadata and also a blu ray player/drive.

I've got all my media added now and would like to know how I can modify some of media portals metadata. I previously used a program called MediaCenterMaster that would download all the metadata. I still use it and organize all my data but I'm not sure Mediaportal is reading it all. Some of my movies don't appear to have a genre attached and some I would like to edit so it doesn't have so many genre categories. What's the best way to modify the movie metadata that Mediaportal 2 uses?

Secondly, I just added an external blu ray player on my system. It's all installed in Windows and plays discs fine. How would I add a Play Disc button like I see in many Mediaportal 1 screenshots? I'd love a Play Disc button in the main page or maybe under Latest Media? What are the best options for playing a blu ray disc in Mediaportal 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom