How to manage files on HTPC from a remote PC?! (Withouth VNC (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
As topic: How can I manage my files (move/delete/rename) on the HTPC from my remote connected notebook (via WLAN).. without using a tool like VNC or PCAnywhere.

The reason is when using VNC (or similar) I "disturbe" the desktop as I am working on it. I want to manage files will MP is running in fullscreen and somebody else is watching TV..

Anybody an idea?

I thought about something like Telnet or so.. But have no solution yet..

If I just use my explorer on my notebook to move files via network, they are transfered via network.. I want to avoid this..
In addition if I want to start an application on my HTPC I cannot do this via the explorer on my notebook,..

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
June 20, 2005
Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
with remotely anywhere you can connect to you htpc and control it with your internet browser.

Some features:
File transfeer
remote control (like vnc)
open command prompt
ftp server
execute files

and a lot more. some things can also be controled via wap.

When it comes to executing files, (without remote control) you often need to make batch files as shourcuts to the file.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: How to manage files on HTPC from a remote PC?! (Withouth

jcee said:
    As topic: How can I manage my files (move/delete/rename) on the HTPC from my remote connected notebook (via WLAN)

You can do all of this just by sharing the folder whose contents you want to modify, and just connect to the shared folder with Windows on the notebook.

jcee said:
    If I just use my explorer on my notebook to move files via network, they are transfered via network

I'm not sure what you mean... You want to move files around on the one computer, or you want to move them between computers?

jcee said:
    In addition if I want to start an application on my HTPC I cannot do this via the explorer on my notebook

That's true, but what applications would you want to use? You don't mention wanting to do this at the start of your post.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    dragongc said:
    You can also use terminal services and login as another user during active MP sesion.

Only if you have MP installed on a Windows Server box. If it's installed on a regular Win XP box, as soon as you connect via Terminal Server (Remote Desktop), your console screen will be locked out.

XP Pro machines only allow ONE connection at a time, be it at the console, or via TS.

dragongc

Portal Member
    October 11, 2005
    Poland
    Khris said:
    dragongc said:
    You can also use terminal services and login as another user during active MP sesion.

Only if you have MP installed on a Windows Server box. If it's installed on a regular Win XP box, as soon as you connect via Terminal Server (Remote Desktop), your console screen will be locked out.

XP Pro machines only allow ONE connection at a time, be it at the console, or via TS.
    No. You can do some trick (reg and one file change) to make it works like server in prof version (I did it). I dont have english article about it.If you want more info Google it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom