How to organize movies on HDD? (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Mine is like this :

films
Whahhaheghehe.... LOL.... Sophisticated... ;-) (I like your humor)

Do you use NFO or SUBS files? (I suspect not)

By the way, is there any way to put the manually changed name in the .NFO/.TXT file for instance? If a rescan is needed for instance.

That would be a great Idea.
I have the same problem, if I rescan my movies.

This issue has already been created in Google Code. See the link below! :)
Issue 121 - moving-pictures - write NFO files that help with future rescans - Project Hosting on Google Code
It has been targetted to be incorporated in version 1.0. So we have to wait a bit.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Mine was also in a flat structure, all movies in one directory.
    But in preparation for easier future rescans, I have started to create a folder per movie.
    I have created a small batch script that will run through all files in a directory and do the following:
    - create directory with same name as filename - only if it does not already exist
    - move file(s) to that directory

If more than 1 file with same name exist (.avi .jpg etc...), all will end up in the newly created directory.

If anyone else wants to start reorganizing, just shout if you want the batch file.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just use it like this

[Movies]
    |-[Folder movie name1] - Movie files1 (vid+(srt)+nfo)
    |-[Folder movie name2] - Movie files2 (vid+(srt)+nfo)
    |-[Folder movie name3] - Movie files3 (vid+(srt)+nfo)
    etc. all 300 of em.
    Iso's, MKV's, IMG's, NRG's, AVI's...

I see no need to make folder with the first letter, Moving Pictures already sorts is like that. (with or without the prefex "the" if you want)

What I did from within config of Moving Pictures, is in the instance that I have 10 star trek movies I use the "sort by" field. I change the name to "Star Trek 1 - Motion..." and Star Trek 2 - The Undis..." This works better than the automatic generated names sometimes. It can sometimes mix "one,2, iii, IV, V" etc.. Also in the case of the movie sequeals Terminator. The names are typically: The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment day, Terminator 3: Rise of the machines, Terminator Salvation. I tend to correct it from within Moving Pictures config and put it in the correct order.

By the way, is there any way to put the manually changed name in the .NFO/.TXT file for instance? If a rescan is needed for instance.

+1 Manually change the movie name in the .nfo/.txt file

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Mine is like this :

films
    Whahhaheghehe.... LOL.... Sophisticated... ;-) (I like your humor)

Do you use NFO or SUBS files? (I suspect not)

:)

No, no NFOs or SUBs.

I do extract DVDs or .iso files to their own sub-directories though. Storing them like this means there's no need to use daemon tools meaning one less thing to configure and go wrong!

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    For "Vista Media Center" it always was better to use one folder for each movie file.

To that is the beauty of MovingPictures (or atleast one of the beautifull things). You can choose to organize your movies excactly the way you want, and MovingPictures will pick it up without problems.

I have my movies on a server that currently has 4 different harddrives. 2x500GB, 1x1TB and 1x1,5TB. Not in a raid setup. My movie files are scattered throughout these discs, in a fashion that is based more on "oh, I have a little space left here, lets put a couple of movies in here" than on general convenience. The great thing is, that MovingPictures doesn't care about this. Nor does it care about me moving these files arounds when the need for space rises on a specific harddrive.

I know, this is a fucked up system and I am better off getting some big drives and putting them in RAID - but for now I don't have the option to do this and so far this system is working great.

Collective

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have my movies on a server that currently has 4 different harddrives. 2x500GB, 1x1TB and 1x1,5TB. Not in a raid setup. My movie files are scattered throughout these discs, in a fashion that is based more on "oh, I have a little space left here, lets put a couple of movies in here" than on general convenience. The great thing is, that MovingPictures doesn't care about this. Nor does it care about me moving these files arounds when the need for space rises on a specific harddrive.

I know, this is a fucked up system and I am better off getting some big drives and putting them in RAID - but for now I don't have the option to do this and so far this system is working great.

We have the same issue, files scattered over 4 different HD's. My solution was to create a small 'Media' partition (or dir), then using the 'Hardlink shell extension' Link Shell Extension I added all the movie directories and tv series etc all into the Media dir with this tool (I used 'junction')

So now I have a media dir with tv series dir, with dir's for each series, a movies dir with dir's for each genre, comedy, action, horror etc, then just point mediaportal to the 'media directory. This way I can move directories around, from HD to HD, add a new HD and as long as I update the junctions, then mediaportal see's no difference

Just remember to maintain and add/update junctions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom