How to play DTS Audio CD (1 Viewer)

kevin939

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have at last managed to get DTS AUDIO CDs to work - but not in MP.#

I use foobar (1.0) with the asio plugin. The foobar kernel streamer plugin also works. Unfortunately when I try to use foobar plugin for MP the plugin configuration crashes. anyone else have problems with the foobar plugin?????

xmamx

Portal Member
June 10, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I managed to get DTS audio to play on mediaportal through Bass player. I tried everything asio, etc and then eventually got it working by just setting the bitrate in vista to 2 channel, 44100hz, 24bit Studio quality (also tick - both check boxes - Allow applications to take control and give exclusive mode applications priority. The 24bit 44100hz setting seemed to stop the sound card resampling the audio (i have a realtek card and these are bad for resampling). If this does not work and you are using ac3filter, tick the check box for dts passthrough as well.

I also had to rename the dts audio files to the wav extention ie. sound.dts is changed to sound.wav. Most DTS sound files have the bitrate set at 44100hz so thats why this seemed to work. Also i found one of my dts music videos didnt play sound after i did this as the sound on the recording was 48000hz (so this could catch some people out).

The main thing is that DTS audio is working after i changed that one setting, so its worth a try. :D

Edit: just reread and found you were trying to play cd's so this might not work, but it is worth a try.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I have at last managed to get DTS AUDIO CDs to work - but not in MP.#

I use foobar (1.0) with the asio plugin. The foobar kernel streamer plugin also works. Unfortunately when I try to use foobar plugin for MP the plugin configuration crashes. anyone else have problems with the foobar plugin?????

I believe you need a really old version of Foobar to get this plugin working.

Not quite sure how DTS cds are stored (are they just dts files ?). If they are files try installing AC3File and then changing the internal player from BASS to directshow.

Edit: just seen this is page 2...

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    xmamx - I am running XP but have set the spdif out to 44mhz using the realtek application (that got foobar to work properly - white noise becomes full 5.1 DTS). DTS on a cd appears to be standard cd format but has the DTS data rather than two track. I want that data sent untouched to spdif so my can receiver can deal with it and direct from the C D - don't want to bother ripping it. I have ripped some to flac(5.1) but that just plays setero on MP - no 5.1 (then again its over spdif as PCM so 2 channels is all I could get).

jameson_uk - any chance that mp 1.1.0 will have an updated foobar plugin?????????

xmamx

Portal Member
    June 10, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am using a Realtek over spdif also with a Sony Amp. In mediaportal in the bass player section you need to disable gapless, fadein and the other option for the bass player and have the volume on that page set to 100 also. I messed around for a few days before i got it working properly. Its worth renaming the current ripped flacs you have to wav and testing them through media portal to see if it is working for those files or not. The other thing that happens is when you press your remote when playing dts files it goes to static for a second as the button noises switch the amp to pcm. I think off memory i selected the default sound device in the bass player at one point and it still worked.

Also to note, make sure you selected 24bit 44100hz in the vista sound settings as the 24bit option was what made it work for me i think. Obviously you are trying to play cd dts but if you get it working with the wav files, it may make it easier to get the cds working.

Good luck.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom