[solved] How to record a series (UK Freeview dvb-t) (1 Viewer)

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
February 2, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am a new user, converting from Windows media centre.

I would like to record the whole series of university challenge. In media centre, I could go to the programme in the guide, and press the record button on my remote twice, and that would record the series.

In media portal 2, the record button doesn't work. However, I can click enter, then choose extended scheduling. This lists all the occurrences of the programme in the next 2 weeks, and has a record series button clearly visible, but you can't navigate to it using the remote control. Even if I attach a mouse, clicking on it does nothing.

But, if I use the search facility to find university challenge, I get the option to record every week. Why the difference, and what is the correct way to record a series?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In media portal 2, the record button doesn't work.
    Sure it does- but you need a MCE-compatible remote.

Given your navigation issues I suspect that your remote is not fully compatible.

I hope that you’ve installed the latest version - we are at MP 2.2

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but you can't navigate to it using the remote control.
    I can here. Which skin/theme are you using?

Can you move up/down and left/right with the direction keys on your remote? This basic navigation is working on every screen. If this is not the case for you, something is very wrong.

We would then need diagnostics logs. Something you can’t do without a keyboard though ;)

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    I have just switched from the default skin to media centre skin.

My remote works media centre fine. The record button works there OK.
    However, media portal ignores the key (and others - e.g. Fast forward and rewind). Even in input management settings. Supplementary question: when you have chosen to reprogram a key, and the box with "Press the desired key combination on the input device" comes up, how do you abandon the attempt? I daren't press back, in case that reprogram my back key to do something else!

Up, down, left, right work fine. As I said, even clicking on record series with the mouse does nothing. I assumed that was because the guide did not have series information, or something.

How do I get a diagnostic log? (I can always use vnc to give me a mouse and keyboard)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    However, media portal ignores the key (and others - e.g. Fast forward and rewind)
    I believe that meanwhile this is resolved, correct?

"Press the desired key combination on the input device" comes up, how do you abandon the attempt? I daren't press back, in case that reprogram my back key to do something else!
    You may press "Back" or "Escape" or "Exit", whatever is available on your remote without fear.

As I said, even clicking on record series with the mouse does nothing. I assumed that was because the guide did not have series information, or something.
    I am not sure what you are doing. When in the guide you need to bring up the context menu (mouse right-click or Info on your remote). There you select "Extended" to be presented a selection. I am not sure how you are doing things then, but simply choose "Record every show" or similar to be sure to capture it.

clicking on record series with the mouse does nothing
    Not sure to which dialogue you are referring. Can you take a screen shot?

How do I get a diagnostic log? (I can always use vnc to give me a mouse and keyboard)
    Take a look at How to submit a Bug report.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    I have switched to the media centre skin, and the record series button works in that.

Should I switch back to the default skin, reproduce the problem with screen shots and logs, and continue this thread, or just keep quiet, because my incessant questions are starting to annoy people? Happy to do either.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my incessant questions are starting to annoy people?
    No worries. I would not answer if I were annoyed.

Should I switch back to the default skin, reproduce the problem with screen shots and logs, and continue this thread
    @ge2301 , this user has identified a navigation difference between WMC and BV with the latter not entirely working as supposed. Are you interested in further details?

@Nikki Locke , you are referring to BlueVision/Default, correct? Would you mind trying another theme, Win10 and/or Titan Extended please?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ge2301 , this user has identified a navigation difference between WMC and BV with the latter not entirely working as supposed. Are you interested in further details?
    Could please somebody who is using the recording feature try to check/reproduce. I've limited time this week and I'll be off for one month from Saturday.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    I have installed MP2 client on another machine, and left it with the default skin. I cannot reproduce the problem using it.

So I went back to the original machine, changed the skin back, and I can't reproduce the problem there either.

So my sincere apologies - the bug is not reproducible, so it must have been my mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom