how to restore BACKUP (1 Viewer)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    in C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\ there are backups like MediaPortal_BACKUP_09-02_7-36
    how can I restore one ?

The complete reason is that the windows garbage/p.o.s. crashed, and then MP failed to start due to "the side-by-side error" - suggested to be a corrupted MediaPortal.exe.config in another thread.
    i deleted it, uninstalled and reinstalled MP . did not help.

now both configuration and MP crash instead of starting
    application log say

Application: MediaPortal.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException
    Stack:
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(System.Exception)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(System.Xml.XmlDocument, System.Xml.XmlReader, Boolean)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(System.Xml.XmlReader)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(System.String)
    at MediaPortal.Profile.XmlSettingsProvider..ctor(System.String)
    at MediaPortal.Profile.Settings..ctor(System.String, Boolean)
    at MediaPortal.Profile.MPSettings.get_Instance()
    at MediaPortal.ServiceImplementations.Log4NetWrapper..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.Services.GlobalServiceProvider.LogServiceRequested(MediaPortal.Services.ServiceProvider)
    at MediaPortal.Services.ServiceProvider.Get[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]()
    at MediaPortal.Services.GlobalServiceProvider.Get[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]()
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.Log.Info(System.String, System.Object[])
    at MediaPortalApp.Main(System.String[])

Faulting application name: MediaPortal.exe, version: 1.17.0.0, time stamp: 0x59539446
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23796, time stamp: 0x59028e59
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
    Faulting process id: 0xcb8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d33562534647b4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 92581cc9-a155-11e7-b811-00252291b904

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

The complete reason is that the windows garbage/p.o.s. crashed, and then MP failed to start due to "the side-by-side error" - suggested to be a corrupted MediaPortal.exe.config in another thread.
    i deleted it, uninstalled and reinstalled MP . did not help.
    Actually I disagree.

From what you've said it seems like the crash caused at least 2 files to be corrupted. One is the MediaPortal.exe.config file. From the application log that you provided we can say that MediaPortal.xml (in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal) also seems to be corrupted. So, replace that single file (from MediaPortal.xml.bak if it exists, or the most recent backup folder if it does not) and hopefully MP and MP Config will work again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    P.S. Uninstalling and reinstalling MP to fix MediaPortal.exe.config was a bit extreme. Usually you can fix it simply by replacing that one file. You can get an uncorrupted copy of the file from several places:
    • ask the community, OR...
    • get it from our source code on GitHub -->here<-- (remember that you need the version that matches the version of MP that you're using), OR...
    • extract it from the installer

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    But of course, you are absolutely right about it.
    MediaPortal.xml was bad (73kB, but bad), I restored it's bak, same problem. Copied it from one of the "BACKUP" subdirectories, and now MP Configuration and MP would start.
    Upon exit MP Configuration complained about Gentle.config, and MP would not work with TV (asked for hostname, even tho MP configuration "test connection" were successful)
    Restored Gentle.config , and all is fine. :D

Thank you very much.

The reason for all those crazy ttempts was me being away on a business trip (this happen 3 days ago) and my wife was very unhappy with the "no TV situation" - so in limited time, I attempted several (poor) methods.

Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom