how to setup media portal for hi-fi music? (1 Viewer)

blubserl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i just noticed that playback quality of my htpc is bad compared to my cd player. reduction in dynamics are clearly audible. i always thought, that when my htpc is digitally connected via hdmi to my amp - the sound is just passed through :confused:??? obviously this is not the case, which (as far as i understand) is why the pure audio plugin was created. however i read in the forums that the plugin does not work on hdmi setups, so i now wonder what i can do to increase playback quality?

thanks for your advice and help!

blubserl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    thank you for your answer! does this have anything to do with wasapi support? anyway...this is good news and i'm looking forward to testing and giving feedback (y)

dint10

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm a little confused about this myself.
    I thought as things stand right now it was possible to bitstream [pass through] HD audio files [24bit 96Khz, for example] via HDMI straight to AV amp for decoding?

I have stumbled about with this myself and think I have it going with the ASIO plug in.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I'm a little confused about this myself.
    I thought as things stand right now it was possible to bitstream [pass through] HD audio files [24bit 96Khz, for example] via HDMI straight to AV amp for decoding?

I have stumbled about with this myself and think I have it going with the ASIO plug in.
    You can not pass through the audio but you can get a bitperfect output but this depends on hardware and software.

The decoding is done on the pc not the amp.

Within MP 1.2 you will not get bitperfect output of these files

dint10

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks Jameson

Wow - I'm both surprised and a bit dissapointed too. I believed I had it all going!! :)

Well, I think it's sounds pretty good all the same. However, if you would not mind explaining how, I would be very interested to know what I need to do to get bitperfect output?

I do not use a soundcard as such. I have an ATI Radeon HD6570 which I connect to my AV amp via HDMI.

(y)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Me too, I have ATI Radeon connect to my AV amp via HDMI and I'm interested in getting better sounding music :)

MisterN

Portal Member
    October 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've managed to get some great sound (bit perfect through exclusive mode) going through the use of the Winamp External Player plugin.
    I have Winamp configured to use a WASAPI output plugin which can be found here: http://maiko.elementfx.com/
    That plugin can then be configured for bit perfect playback through exclusive mode: http://maiko.elementfx.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0 (Basically every checkbox checked)

Works an absolute treat. It automatically switches sample rates, sample depth and number of channels based on the source...
    So I can get 5.1 96k 24bit FLAC files working bit perfect to all channels just as well as redbook audio.

(I am using a HDMI connection to a Nad amplifier from the built-in APU within my Ivy Bridge i3)

Other Notes:
    • Don't forget the period in front of the file extensions in the winamp external player MediaPortal plugin.
    • Get everything working first in Winamp, then get MediaPortal talking to Winamp.
    • Turn off the Winamp song change notiifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom