How-To: Setup MediaPortal & TV Server on Windows Server 2008 (x64) (1 Viewer)

wima

Portal Member
June 25, 2007
I have also a PVR-500, but it does not work. The Scan for Tv Channels is very fast, but no channels were be found. The error.log contains some errors:
Code:
2008-09-23 22:49:08.361856 [7]: analog: AddTvTunerFilter failed:0x80040154
2008-09-23 22:49:08.361856 [7]: Exception   :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to add tvtuner to graph
   bei TvLibrary.Implementations.Analog.TvCardAnalog.AddTvTunerFilter()
   bei TvLibrary.Implementations.Analog.TvCardAnalog.BuildGraph()
Exception   :Unable to add tvtuner to graph
  site      :Void AddTvTunerFilter()
  source    :TVLibrary
  stacktrace:   bei TvLibrary.Implementations.Analog.TvCardAnalog.AddTvTunerFilter()
   bei TvLibrary.Implementations.Analog.TvCardAnalog.BuildGraph()

What could be wrong?
Thank you
wima

basin

June 1, 2008
Home Country
England England
Hi wima,

Have you managed to get your PVR-500 working with win2k8 yet?

I am having problems with getting an analog card working. After installing using bdaforserver and rebooting I am able to scan for analog channels and am able to get all my local UK stations, but as soon as I reboot the card is still visible in TV Servers but I no longer have a signal. DVB-S is fine and the channels are still available after a reboot.

I am trying to set up using win2k8 32bit

basin

Maedhros

Portal Pro
December 14, 2005
Gdansk, Poland
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Okay... I can verify that there is a problem yes with the PVR-150/500.

I have an old system. I will probably try to set up a multi-boot with Vista x64 and Win2008 x64 and get it working in Vista x64 monitoring it using Process Monitor and do the same on Win2008 and compare the two to see where things go wrong. I also went through the bdaforserver, however no luck here. I now have a bunch of files not native to Win2008 registered and of no use so far. Hopefully a bit of high-level debugging using the monitor should be able to find missing files and registry entries.

If anyone gets this working and is able to reproduce it, please post detail (read: DETAILS) on this thread.

mizzourob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 16, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Has anyone had any problems installing the SQL database? When I run the MP installer on my newly upgraded Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) machine the installation of SQL Express 2005 fails (and on subsequent attempts) I also get errors when I try MySQL5 as the alternative... has anyone had similar issues?

Marron

October 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Has anyone had any problems installing the SQL database? When I run the MP installer on my newly upgraded Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) machine the installation of SQL Express 2005 fails (and on subsequent attempts) I also get errors when I try MySQL5 as the alternative... has anyone had similar issues?

Yes, I have that problem. Installed Server 2008 32-bit yesterday. I tried MySQL and then the installation completes, but I still have problems. When I start the TV-Server Configuration it says that "The Tv Service is not runnig. Start it now?".
    I click Yes and get Error: "TvService not started."

In the server manager --> configurations --> services it says that TVService is Started.

What do to?

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For what do I need the MediaPortal user?

Greetings
    wima

For what do I need the MediaPortal user?

Well.... I know that you could use the built-in administrator account. And all considered, it will be easier to set up everything for you, since permissions are not a problem at any point. However, first of all, I NEVER recommend anyone to use the administrator account for everyday tasks. If someone wants to exploit your system it is easier. If you get a virus or other malware, it is easier to trash your system. However, if you run as a normal windows user with only the rights for a few folders, you are toughened against these attacks. And in general it is good practice (also from an organising point of view).
    I personally have a separate user for running MediaPortal only for all the reasons above, but also because this is supposed to become THE home server utilizing different other applications. For now MediaPortal, uTorrent (with separate user), and Development using SVN and MS-SQL is running also. I use the administrator account to log on and set up a new service or other administrative tasks.

I can only recommend that you make use of separate users per task.
    I think what wima was asking, was the reason behind installing the MP front end as well as the TV Server on the Windows Server. Surely you would only install the TV Server on the Windows Server and the MP front end on your client PC's... Or is there a reason why MP front end is also installed on your server?

raaq

March 1, 2008

Yes, I have that problem. Installed Server 2008 32-bit yesterday. I tried MySQL and then the installation completes, but I still have problems. When I start the TV-Server Configuration it says that "The Tv Service is not runnig. Start it now?".
    I click Yes and get Error: "TvService not started."

In the server manager --> configurations --> services it says that TVService is Started.

What do to?

I also have the same problem, but on win 2008 x64... Please help ! :)

thermionic

Portal Member
    March 26, 2007
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have the same issue (on win2k8 x86) , but I think its related to drivers for the card. The reason I think this is because I first of all installed the RC4 TV server without any cards in the server, and the configuration tools ran with no errors. After I installed the card (Nebula PCI) I get the constant pop-up saying that the TV Server Service isn't started.

I'm going to try with my other card (Pinnacle 3010i PCI-e) and see what happens...

edit, just tried disabling the card in device manager, and the configurator runs...

aha, ran the BDAforserver util, and it sees all three tuners, and tunes, but it doesn't grab EPG, and the client can't connect :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom