Operating System How to share media files on Windows 7? (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I just updated my MP server from XP to W7 ultimate. All clients already run on W7.

I can't get the file sharing to work. Whatever I do a username/password window pops up, the clients cannot access the shares.

I tried first with good old WORKGROUP, hours of Google and settings to no avail. I also tried new fancy HOMEGROUP. No success.

This was soooo easy in XP.

How do you guys/gals share the media files from your server in W7? WORKGROUP or HOMEGROUP. How do I set this up?

Almost 24 hours now, family nagging, getting frustrated ...

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi VdR,

I'm just doing this as I write with my new server.

You have to tell it to turn on file sharing first - Go into Network & Sharing Centre and there should be a drop down arrow with 'Turn on Network Discovery'

I have had similar problems in the past with file sharing under Win7, it seems so hit & miss to me. My laptop will still not access the Homegroup :rolleyes:

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You need a user account with password. Best would be to have the same user acc on all computers. No need to use them, they are just needed for sharing.
    E.g. set up user mepo with password mepo on all machines. Then setup the folders to share. Should work then.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi VdR,

I'm just doing this as I write with my new server.

You have to tell it to turn on file sharing first - Go into Network & Sharing Centre and there should be a drop down arrow with 'Turn on Network Discovery'

I have had similar problems in the past with file sharing under Win7, it seems so hit & miss to me. My laptop will still not access the Homegroup :rolleyes:

I went over those settings several times following different instructions found on Google. They all say essentially the same thing. 'Network Discovery' and 'File and Printer sharing' are on on the server.[DOUBLEPOST=1348914236][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You need a user account with password. Best would be to have the same user acc on all computers. No need to use them, they are just needed for sharing.
    E.g. set up user mepo with password mepo on all machines. Then setup the folders to share. Should work then.

Sorry, I do not understand. Create a user on the clients? How do I set up sharing then on the server?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi VdR,

I think what JT is saying is that you need to set up a user account on the server. This what I have done in the past.

The user acc I use is just user: MediaPortal and a generic password. When you access this from the clients, you can set them up to remember the login settings and they should then connect automatically.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Still trying. I managed to get access from my office PC. But I'm not sure what made this happen (user account on client, user account on server, disconnected from HOMEGROUP, set access on the server to everyone in several places ...) What a mess. Le't see what's up with the next client.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi VdR,

When I set up my server this morning I set it up with just one user account called MediaPortal and any password, and allowed sharing of files, folders, media etc. I also allowed Remote Desktop Connection.

I haven't joined the Homegroup.

I have just accessed the server via windows explorer and a popup box appeared asking for username and password. I just typed in the username and password for the server and I was 'in'. I just have a default user account set up on my laptop with no password at all, and this is the same on the other MP clients I have.

Last edited:

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here. Now disconnected from the Homegroup, created a user account for the MP clients on the server, and set the media folders as shared with everyone. Already using RDP to fiddle on the server.

On the client I have to give and save the credentials for the MP client user account once. Worked first time on the second client I just set up.

Would still be interested in sharing read only with the clients and full access with another account. Will experiment a bit more.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi VdR,

I *think* you can specify sharing types (read, read/write) and users by right clicking on the shared folders and selecting the required privileges. I'm no expert though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom