[no Bug] How to use 1.3.0 Alpha TV Guide Genres? (1 Viewer)

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is there a way to rename the default genres? I have tried looking for a way to change the names of Documentary, Kids, Movie, Music, News, Special and Sports - is there a way and I am just a wee bit too slow to find it?

Sorry for being a bother

Thanks!

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    How do I add/edit/remove genres? Did that not make into 1.3Alpha? I have seen screenshots where there are buttons to do that in the MP Config, but I dont have that. And I also tried editing the XML files and they just crashed setup program.

What am I missing, besides my sanity?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How do I add/edit/remove genres? Did that not make into 1.3Alpha? I have seen screenshots where there are buttons to do that in the MP Config, but I dont have that. And I also tried editing the XML files and they just crashed setup program.

This was removed at the last minute, in order to keep things simple. I think we should add it back in, but need to remind myself of the reasons for removing it.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

This was removed at the last minute, in order to keep things simple. I think we should add it back in, but need to remind myself of the reasons for removing it.

I agree that we should add it back. ( I think 7 genres are enough but you should be able to change the names of them)

Last edited:

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    OK, I saw lots of back and forth with having it, not having it. I for one would enjoy it, but the default categories dont work for me

Thanks!

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Surely choice should prevail? You can hide the choice in simple mode and you can have defaults so that people can get things up and running quickly but advanced users should have the choice. Colours and names of genres should be editable, that's a given, but why can't we add new genres? Being limited to 7 genres isn't a huge issue but why is such an artificial limit imposed at all? Looking through two channels on MyDigiGuide shows it uses at least 12 genres:

Sport
    Motoring
    News
    Entertainment
    Childrens
    Animation
    Game Show
    DIY
    Soap
    Drama
    Nature
    Scientific Documentary

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The genre colors are configurable:
    MP Config -> GUI -> Edit Skin Settings -> tab 'TV guide' -> tab 'Colors' -> Select a Genre and hit 'On Now Color' or 'On Later Color'

Wiki

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    The genre colors are configurable:
    MP Config -> GUI -> Edit Skin Settings -> tab 'TV guide' -> tab 'Colors' -> Select a Genre and hit 'On Now Color' or 'On Later Color'

Wiki

The colours for the genres are configurable. The actual genre names are not.

There was a lot of discussion about this, and I can't remember the reason for removing configurability. It might be due to localisation. Once we check, it should not be too hard to put the configuration back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom