Tools and other software [How To] [User Exp] Update MySQL (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    After long search, we found 2 methods for update or install MySQL.
    This is User Expérience ! ;)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    1st : Copy-paste (for existing database)
    • Stop Tvservice + Mysqlservice
    • Unintall MySQL 5.1
    • install Mysql 5.6
    set root "root" + password "MediaPortal"
    set name of services : "MySQL"
    Set Mysql as Standard Services, if you have error on setup, verify in Services.msc MySQL services is Standard services not ""WINDOWS-NT authority ..." (read
    • copy-paste "MPtvDB" folder in Data folder
    • start Mysql
    • Start TVserver, if connection failed go to Workbench
    • (verify with workbench, right user) as Wiki replace "1::" by "%"
    • execute mysql_upgrade.exe
    • Start Tv serveur config, and try to connect to DB
    • If DB connect Succes, update to 1.3 R

2nd: Clean install (backup files is optionnal)
    (by @megahorst)
    • do a backup with huhas Backup plugin
      worked without any problems
    • remove 1.30 beta + TV-server completely
    • uninstall MySQL 5.1
    • install MySQL 5.6
      Here I had some trouble.
      I did not have a running MySQL service at first. I had to reinstall MySQL.
      Than the service was there but not up and running. The MySQL installer inserted a "WINDOWS-NT authority ..." username. I have changed this to local system user. Than the service started.
      No trouble with the MySQL-connection at this point.
      At this point it does not make sense to go ahead without running MySQL-service or not working connection.
      Perhaps a more experienced MySQL user can give some hints here how to avoid errors.
    • have a look how to switch from MyISAM to InnoDBnothing to do here
    • install 1.30RC and choose the option "I do already have a database-server"
      Here I had some trouble again.
      During installation I was asked for the database connection attributes. The installer did not accept 127.0.0.1 or localhost as address of the server that hosts the database. It always said "give propper IP or hostname"
      At this point I had to go back to MySQL workbench and had to add a user/hostname combination "root / <full hostname of htpc>" and to give DBA rights to this user.
      After this the MePo installer created all MePo tables in the MySQL 5.6 DB.
    • restore my backup
      I had a little problem here also. After the restore all TV-channels now have channel number 1000 (or 10000?)
      @huha: Are you aware of this?
    • hope everything works as before
      I did a quick check last evening. So far no shop stoppers until now. I will do some regression tests the next evenings and check the logs for errors.
    For update to InnoDB,
    link to post in thread :

Thanks to @Paranoid Delusion for helping ...

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    No, i don't understand, install MySQL 5.5 is easy but after, i don't understand how switch 5.1 to 5.5 ....
    I know, MySQL not update itself 5.1 > 5.5, and need use Command line for this

Link on Mysql forum
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html

i must test on my Workstation, because, i have lost 5 Hours about it on HTPC last night ... :mad:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From time to time I have the problem that my htpc hangs and I have to switch it off. In these cases the MySQL DB often is corrupted. I have understood, that the InnoDB backend does not does not get corrupted in these cases.

I have planned this:
    • remove 1.30 beta completely
    • install MySQL 5.6
    • have a look how to switch from MyISAM to InnoDB
    • hope that MePo installer creates the MePo db with InnoDB under 5.6 environment
    • restore my backup
    Do you think that this will work?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Guys

I switched to 5.5 (current release, 5.6 is still work in progress) weeks ago, gave up on the old db, just could not get it to import cleanly, so started off with a clean database from scratch.

Manually had to setup server and connection using Workbench, this can be confusing at first, so take your time and everything should work, InnodDB is the default, so you do not have to change anything there.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Guys

I switched to 5.5 (current release, 5.6 is still work in progress) weeks ago, gave up on the old db, just could not get it to import cleanly, so started off with a clean database from scratch.

Manually had to setup server and connection using Workbench, this can be confusing at first, so take your time and everything should work, InnodDB is the default, so you do not have to change anything there.

@Paranoid Delusion: What do you mean with "just could not get it to import cleanly" ?

Have you tried the MySQL update script or have you used huhas backupPlugin?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I used script, tables that should have had information in were blank :(

ps. I spent 5 days trying to get this to work before I gave up, but do not let that stop you from trying,

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    From time to time I have the problem that my htpc hangs and I have to switch it off. In these cases the MySQL DB often is corrupted. I have understood, that the InnoDB backend does not does not get corrupted in these cases.

I have planned this:
    • remove 1.30 beta completely
    • install MySQL 5.6
    • have a look how to switch from MyISAM to InnoDB
    • hope that MePo installer creates the MePo db with InnoDB under 5.6 environment
    • restore my backup
    I have tested and no work ! MP don't create "MpTVdb" database. when you set "I do already have a database-server"

@Paranoid Delusion : MySQL 5.6 is out ;) (release 05/02/2013), you must restart update lol, as 5.6 is not compatible with 5.5 ... ( ils sont cons !!!)
    have you an solution, or an Tuto, MySQL is planned for be updated in MP deployTool ? because MP is based on MySQL 5.1.39 (2009-09-04) ( little old )

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I have planned this:

I have tested and no work ! MP don't create "MpTVdb" database. when you set "I do already have a database-server"

@Paranoid Delusion : MySQL 5.6 is out ;) (release 05/02/2013), you must restart update lol, as 5.6 is not compatible with 5.5 ... ( ils sont cons !!!)
    have you an solution, or an Tuto, MySQL is planned for be updated in MP deployTool ? because MP is based on MySQL 5.1.39 (2009-09-04) ( little old )

I think the creation of the db should work. I had such a setup in the past with a linux server that hosted the db. And I did the installation in this way.
    Perhaps the problem with the connection that Paranoid Delusion mentioned? To create the db the installer has to connect to the db backend.
    Do you have any errors in a installation logfile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom