How to watch a ripped dvd on MP? (1 Viewer)

gorbys

March 20, 2013
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi, sorry if this is a totaly noob question but I have a lot of dvds, both movies and music dvds that I would like to rip to my Synology NAS so that I could stove away my dvd's. I want to be able to view all the ripped movies from withing MP and start a movie from there. Easily, needs to be wife friendly so to say...
How can this be achieved?
Is mediaslayer a good alternative to rip the dvds?
I guess if the dvd gets ripped to divx or something similar then it's as easy as opening the movies/series already on my nas but what If the dvd is ripped in .iso format?
What are you guys doing?

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I use Freemake Video Converter (it´s free and fast) - but make sure during install to unmark all the extra software offered to be installed ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    There are various ways to store your DVD on NAS. Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to keep the whole DVD it's better to store them as ISO files rather than keeping the Video_TS folder structure. There are lots of programs to do so. Main disadvantage of both is that the integration in MP isn't that flawless as you first need to navigate in MP and then navigate in the DVD itself.

If you don't want to keep the complete DVD there are also many ways to do so.

Really easy, quick and keeping 100% of Picture and Sound quality is MakeMKV. With MakeMKV the Main Movie (and some specials, if you want them) is stored in a single MKV container, keeping all wanted Audio and subtitle tracks, removing all tracks you don't want to keep (e.g. some "exotic" subtitles). With MakeMKV the size stays similar. The resulting MKV is slightly smaller than the DVD itself (due to the lost of some unwanted stuff). And this don't last longer as copying the dvd folder structure to NAS.

If you want to "shrink" the size and sacrifice picture quality then you also have lots of options. Best is to re-encode them by using h264 (AVC) codec. This gives best PQ by smallest size. For this you can use your preferred tool like Freemake, XMediRecode, Handbrake, VidCoder, But this last about an hour or more for every DVD (depends on how fast your PC is, ofc)....

With those ways you'll get a single video file that can be named useful and integrates perfectly in Moving Pictures, MyVideos or MyFilms (or MP2, XBMC, WMC....)

My worklflow is like: MakeMKV for ripping the DVD into a single MKV only keeping German and probably English language audio track, no subtitles, no specials, then re-encode this MKV with XMediaRecode to h264 with bitrate 1500. This gives something around 1.5 GB mkv with all Audio I need with slightly (normally not visible at all) lower PQ...
    But the days of DVD are mostly gone. The last DVD I've converted was some 2 years ago. Since then I only use BD (or HDTV recordings) as source. Workflow is really similar excerpt for the bitrate used in XMediaRecode. This is set about 8000 for BD (less if it's an animated movie, more if there are lots of detailed landscape shots in...) and 4000 - 5000 for HDTV recordings. The resulting size is about 8 to 10 GB per BD and 3-6 GB for a Recording...

lionel hives

December 10, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mac DVD Ripper Pro for me. One touch, quick ripping and then it's uploaded to the NAS. Well worth the small software price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom