HowTo: Building MediaPortal with #Develop (1 Viewer)

Schrauber

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
Germany
For those, that do not have Visual Sudio .NET.

We can use the open source software #Develop. See www.icsharpcode.net for download.

To build MediaPortal you need the DirectX SDK and the .Net SDK installed. Download them from microsoft.

Now you can check out the sourecode from sourceforge via WinCVS.

Copy some files from your checkout directory to the directory where you want to have your #Develop-Project. This should be another than the directory where you checkouted. Copy the files AxInterop.WMPLib.dll, MPReader.ax, sqlite.dll, SqLiteClient.dll, WinTVCapWriter.ax .

Start #Develop and go to Files --> import project. Select as source the directory where you checkouted and there select the file MediaPortal.sln
As destination select the directory where you want to have you #Develop project to be created (the one to where you copied the above files).
Hit Start. There will come an error message. Just hit OK. Then your Project should be created and all the source files should be copied to the destination directory.

Some references can not be imported automaticly or are incorrect. So you must set them by hand. These are the changes you have to do:

Add a .Net reference to SQLiteClient.dll to the following:
MusicDatabase
RadioDatabase
PictureDatabase
TVDatabase
VideoDatabase
Settings

Add a .Net reference to AxInterop.WMPLib.dll to the Player project. Also add a GAC reference to wmppia to this project.

You have to rename some resource files in explorer. Otherwise MediaPortal will not run correctly after building. So do the following renames:
in GUITV the FormOSD.resources to GUITV.FormOSD.resources
in GUIVideoFullScreen the FormOSD.resources to GUIVideoFullScreen.FormOSD.resources
in home the SetupForm.resources to home.SetupForm.resources
in xbmc all *.resources to MediaPortal.*.resources

After renaming you have to delete the resources of these projects in #Develop. And you have to reinsert the new named *.resource files.
NOTE: the xbmc directory is the project MediaPortal

Next you can build the single parts in the following order:
DShowNET
DirectX.Capture
guilib
GUITopbar
Util
Dialogs
TagReader
MultiTagReader
MusicDatabase
SubTitleReader
SMIReader
SRTReader
Player
PlayList
Ripper
Freedb
RadioDatabase
GUIRadio
GUIMusic
PictureDatabase
GUIPictures
TVDatabase
TVCapture
GUITV
VideoDatabase
GUIVideoFiles
GUIVideoFullScreen
GUIWeather
home
nzlib
mp3TagReader
Settings
GUIRSSFeed

Now copy the file PostBuild.bat from your checkout directory. It is in the dir: [checkout-dir]\xbmc\bin\debug. Copy to the same dir in your project directory. Maybe you must create the directory.

Just run PostBuild.bat.

Now you can build the project part MediaPortal as the last step.

A build of the complete combine will not work. You have to build the projects one by one.

Copy the skin files to your debug-directory. So you can run your fresh build MediaPortal. Maybe you have to copy some other files too. For example the keymap.xml. Copy these files from the \xbmc\bin\release directory from your checkout dir.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I've gotten it to build this way. But when I try to run, it pops up the window, but nothing is drawn in the interior of the window. Any ideas? I had the base media portal working prior to uninstalling it to try the version I built.

Thanks,

Flash

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    look in the mediaportal.log.
    itwill tell you what is going wrong

Schrauber

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I had the same problem. I copied the skin files from the CVS directory to the build directory. then it worked. With the skin files from the actual build version, it did not work.

Best is, to build it. Then copy the files to an existing installation of mediaportal. Then the skin files from cvs. this should work.

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Actually the Home project is not mentioned in the Howto. I had the same problem but with some replacing I found out that home.dll was missing. After building Home and then running Postbuild.bat again it started just fine.

A

Anonymous

update

It's now no longer necessary to change the references to Player - Frodo has fixed the VS.NET project to have the right references, so that's one less thing we need to do!

Also the GUIRSSFeed should be added to the build list, somewhere at the bottom is fine.

A

Anonymous

My Programs, My Recipies and WinampExternalPlayer need to be added to the build list, and can be done so at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom