Howto configure setup for use over HDMI? (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi guys,
    Finally the old tube has been replaced with a flatscreen tv. :D
    Before the HTPC was connected through s-video and therefore I installed an additional graphics adapter.
    The mobo has HDMI and of course, I removed the graphics adapter and it's drivers - was a nvidia chip - and rebooted.
    I the bios, I have enabled dual display and if I boot the system, I somehow cannot get it right.
    If I disconnect the additional monitor from the VGA conector, I get an image on the tv and the card goes to 1024x768@60Hz. By increasing the resolution to 1920x1080, the tv goes black.
    I have no experience in using HDMI so far so I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong.
    Getting an image on both HDMI and VGA also doesn't seem to work out well.
    This is not the first time I do a multi-screen setup but never with HDMI.
    1) is it not possible to use both HDMI and VGA?
    2) being a full HD tv, setting the resolution to 1920x1080 should work, no?

Any help is very appreciated!
    P.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi pünktchen, happy new year and thanks for replying!
    The mobo is an Asus P8H67-M Pro, it has VGA, DVI-D and HDMI.
    According to the manual, all combinations should work for a dual screen setup and over HDMI 1920x1080@60Hz is the maximum resolution.
    The tv is a Samsung UE46F6400, which is a 2013 model and also is able to display that resolution but didn't find anything about the refeshrate.
    Windows states it's a Samsung display but in advanced details, it's indicated as a Generic PnP device.

One other thing that seems strange to me: if I activate multiple displays, on the tv it shows a 'no signal' message' whereas I would think it should at least come with an 'Out of sync' msg. No?
    I have updated the Intel HD Graphics driver to the latest version that I could find - looked on both Asus and Intel websites.

Any other ideas?
    Tnx

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also happy new year to you!
    The frequenzy of 60Hz should work with your TV, but for watching TV content you should set it to 50Hz.
    Problem seems to be the generic pnp monitor. One guy over google stated this:
    "Go into device manager and uninstall the non-pnp monitor by right clicking it. Then just detach the cable from the card, wait 5 seconds and reattach the cable"
    Just try it!
    You could also search for a firmware update of your TV...

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    No luck...
    I uninstalled the device and it returned the same type.
    Also looked for a driver but doesn't seem to exist.

If I set the output to 50Hz, the image/desktop is not full screen anymore and the tv shows 1920x1080@50p as setting.
    Windows still reports 1024x768.
    If I increase the resolution - before of after rebooting - windows reverts to 1024x768@60Hz and that also what the tv reports.

I will check if newer firmware is available and what the differences are.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The issue could be linked to using VGA. Have you tried to manually define the resolution in the Windows control panel (somewhere under "Display", my own os is in German).

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi HTPC_Sourcer, happy new year and thanks for stepping in.
    The system is not connected to VGA but HDMI.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Nono, just the tv over HDMI
    If I connect a monitor to VGA as well, I don't get anything...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Set your system back to 1920x1080 / 50 Hz. If this is not possible then you simply have a graphic driver issue. If it works but you are getting a black frame, we will need to address the overscan, eithet at tv or pc level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom