HOWTO: Leverage PVR350 Hardware MPEG encoding? (1 Viewer)

Matio

Portal Member
January 13, 2005
Hi all,

this may be a dump question, so please bear with a NEWBIE. I tried to find the answer searching in the forum, but did not succeed.

Within my HTPC I have two TV cards: a PVR 350 and a Cinergy DVB-T 1200.

Now, the PVR350 has hardware MPEG encoding built-in. I'd assume that this implies that - due to the fact the decoding is done by hardware - the MPEG encoding does not impact the CPU, right ?

So, how can I benefit from this? Is it possible to re-direct the MPEG encoding for the DVB-T card to be done by the PVR350?

Can it be as simply as setting the HAUPPAUGE PVR350 MPEG Codec as the default for watching TV?

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards,

Matio

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Country flag
    The PVR350 has a hardware encoder so it does lower the cpu usage a lot. It does not have any part in the decoding process and is left to the codec. DVB-T cards do not need mpeg encoding because the digital stream comes already in mpeg2 format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Über die Nova kann ich nichts sagen... Aber über die Creatix welche ich selber auch einsetze kann ich nur gutes berichten! Ich hätte noch vier der Karten und es gibt sie auch wieder bei eBay. Die Karten sind qualitativ immernoch wirklich gut, nur brauchen sie recht viel Strom was den Scaleo E dann leider lüften läßt wie Schwein :(
    Über die Nova kann ich nichts sagen... Aber über die Creatix welche ich selber auch einsetze kann ich nur gutes berichten! Ich...
    An alle Leid geplagten Besitzer von Gehäusen in denen nur Low Profile Karten passen! Ich habe bei eBay eine Karte entdeckt sie wird...
    Replies
    Views
    I cant fully understand what your asking but maybe this is what your after. MediaPortal does support the hardware encoding, its what used when you record to DVR-MS files. MP cannot use the decoder though as its only used when you use the video out on the PVR-350. The PVR-350's video out cant be used because it doesnt support...
    I cant fully understand what your asking but maybe this is what your after. MediaPortal does support the hardware encoding, its...
    Hi, to all. This is my first message. I´m from Spain. Sorry for my bad english. I have understood that card PVR-350 must...
    Replies
    Views
    Sounds like and verified by the log that this appears to be a DVB-T reception problem. DMAN
    Sounds like and verified by the log that this appears to be a DVB-T reception problem. DMAN
    Area: Media Portal Program MP Version: 0.2.0.3 skin: MCE Windows Version: XP SP2 CPU Type: Intel P4 3 GHZ Memory: 1 GB...
    Replies
    Views
    No, I do not concur - SP2 has been great for me - I have it running on 3 PCs, and it is "solid as a rock"... :) Besides, if you want to use MediaPortal, you need the new files that are only available in SP2 - so you don't really have a choice.... :wink:
    No, I do not concur - SP2 has been great for me - I have it running on 3 PCs, and it is "solid as a rock"... :) Besides, if you...
    Hi, i have a problem with my hauppage wintv nova T usb 2 software, it works fine with wintv2000, but when i try to use 3rd party...
    Replies
    Views
    Ok here's that I've done! Reinstalled MP RC2 from v0.1.3. Whilst initially the card appeared to work in mytv. However, on reloading the app and manually recording a channel/manually stopping then exiting to tvguide, MP stopped the video, only the audio stream. Entering the EPG screen MP crashed and exited. In terms of autotune...
    Ok here's that I've done! Reinstalled MP RC2 from v0.1.3. Whilst initially the card appeared to work in mytv. However, on...
    This is my first post and before I write about my issue, I just wanna say what a remarkable job the guys have done to make MP a...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom