HowTo: Setup and config RF MCE Remote XP/Vista (1 Viewer)

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
I got a 3rd party remote that uses RF which is much better than IR. It's not great out of the box so I created a new X10 map for it + discovered some other tweaks to make it much more useable.

I bought it here http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjoschQ5f1962

1) Install the drivers that come with the remote ( http://www.jovs.de/de/Download/Download.htm ) NOT the one recommended on the MediaPortal x10 config page, which won't work properly. This adds an item to the control panel 'wireless remote settings'. Open this and check "use wireless remote settings with the remotes set to this code" and set = 2

2) grab the attached file at bottom of post and place in MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\custom

3) Run mediaportal config|remote|x10 tick use x10 remote & other, also tick settings|use RF channel control on the same page

It should now all work. I spent a long time setting up the remote file and it works pretty well. some points of note:-
- You can page up/down EPG using the channel up/down buttons and page left right using ffwd/rewind, the skip buttons alter the time range
- In Music/Videos Enter shows playlist, Clear exits playlist, using file-list Play key adds item to playlist, OK plays now, using playlist enter removes item.
- * shows visualisation with music, or GUI on other screens
- # shows subs with dvd/videos
- colour keys green=mymusic, red=radio, yellow=photos, blue=weather (unless in teletext mode)
- <- back arrow key is back, clear does prev channel with TV or prev folder with file list windows
- green windows button takes you home
- (i) button shows context menu
rest of buttons are as expected, there may be other tweaks I did I've forgotten.

OPTIONAL STEPS:-
IF pressing power button causes your pc to hibernate you should go to Power settings|Advanced|when I press sleep button on my computer and set = 'Do Nothing' which will stop the power button hibernating your pc. I think step 1) above may have already stopped this though can't remember.

You may if you wish set your remote to a different channel other than the default of 1:-
- Depress green windows button on remote until it flases
- Type diff number 1-16
- Press windows button again
Just ensure that this number is different to the one set in the control panel in step 1) currently 2, as we don't want the windows driver to pick up the codes or you get duplication of some keys. (handy accidental discovery I made)

I attached the dongle to a USB hub on the end of a 5m USB cable. The further it is away from the computer the better it seems. I also changed mine to a different channel (channel 9 sounded nice) as in step above which DID seem to work better than the default of 1. It works through a wall but is not 100% perfect. I think the advertised range of 20m is a bit high, maybe in a straight direct sight line. 5m through a wall seems more likely. With RF you can split your MP signal to other rooms and be able to control it, without needing IR->RF->IR devices or other nonsense. Much better....

kiesow

Portal Pro
March 19, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Great HowTo, thanks a lot.

I just found one, well, error. In "My Sudoku" i can't use the number-keys (0-9), don't know why.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
Are you sure you've followed the steps to the letter AND the optional steps?

It deffo works 100% in every respect I assure you. Number keys works fine in My Sudoko.

kiesow

Portal Pro
March 19, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I guess I did all steps. The number keys works perfect if I change channel or use teletext. But they don't work in my sudoko, it's very strange.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
I'm running v0.2.2.0 which AFAIK come with MySudoko built in. Maybe your remote is slightly different? You can run a program called eventview which reports any RF commands it detects, maybe your codes are different to those in my xml file. Ensure you have followed step 1) to the letter and set it to channel2.

christix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2008
    Skepplanda
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    How to get GUI working from remote?

Hi and thanks for a good work. I'm a newbie with media portal, but it seems to work well, exept in one
    area, an importante one....I cant open the GUI with the Green button on the RF remote...and thats a major problem. If i manualy start mediaportal (dubbelclick from mouse) then it seems to work.

System: Vista on asus P5B, core2duo, 2 gig ram Radeon x1300 creative X-FI

Any help would be appreciated :/

christix, new member

dermotos

Portal Member
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Ive followed your instructions but every up/down movement is a double one. Ie: it skips a selection. :(

MEGA180

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    I'got the same remote from domadoo France
    The vista drivers are also the same.
    At first try (before reading your post). I've expierienced the same problem as others : double input and no number keys in my sudoku.
    If I change the RF canal in windows parameters (setting it to a wrong one) it will be OK in media portal no more double input, but forget the use with other applications.
    I tried to use your indications. At first I had no RF channel option in media portal 0.2.3.0 RC so I installed last night SVN and found this option. But it seems MP is not using Your custom Other X10.xml file. Did I miss something there ?
    I stil do not have number keys to use in Mysudoku (That's the main use I needed the remote to).
    Last problem : I tried Mptray to use the windows green button for opening MP but the only result is that now it doesn't open Vista media center, it does nothing.

Any ideas ?

MEGA180

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi all. Did anyone solve the problem with numbers in My Sudoku ?
    I had a try with girder. It worked but I'm not good enough to program it well.
    If anyone has a good gml for media portal and vista, I'd like it.
    Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom