HTPC components (2 Viewers)

Vyper

Portal Member
October 19, 2005
I'm putting together a HTPC. Eventually, I mean to add DVB-S support, but since I need a CI to view satellite TV here in Holland, I'm putting that off until everything else works.

So first it should be a very good DIVX/MP3/Internet Stream player. I also want easy access to e-mail and MSN in the living room.

Mainboard: MSI Neo4-FI
CPU: AMD 3200+ Venice
Cooler: Zalman 7700
RAM: 2x 512MB Dual Channel TwinMos
Graphics: Sapphire X1300 Passive (composite out)
HDD: 2x 200GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA II
DVD+/-RW: Some Samsung cause they are quiet
Remote: MCE Remote

Please share your ideas and experiences.

Vyper

Portal Member
October 19, 2005
I just bought a Ahanix HV5 black (with VFD and PSU). I wanted a silver case, and maybe a little more HDD space, but I could get this cheap, so I decided to go with it.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I would suggest another CPU cooler. If you want to overclock, have very low noise, or expect limited airflow, there are alternatives out there if you have the room for it. I am running a thermaltake XP120 with a PAPST 120mm fan on my silverstone lc16m/ip4 2.8 HTPC.

I am also running a Zalman cnps 7000Cu on my AMD 3000+ office computer.

regards
Knut Inge

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
The first step is to investigate what will fit in the case/mobo combo.

Second, the Zalman is a very GOOD cooler. If you need something even better will dempend on your needs. I went with the XP120 because I am free to choose the fan that I want, and because it was measured to transport heat more efficiently than the Zalman (and almost any other fan-cooled solution).

For me, that means that I can run the fan at 5V and still have a very cool CPU.

regards
Knut

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Zalman are nice but they are too big for some setups. I have several machines with Thermaltake coolers and they have all been reliable and quiet.

Two of the Thermaltakes I'm using have a similar footprint to a standard manufacturer cooler so they aren't a problem. The loudest is 21db. If you go with a cooler that is 21db or less you should be ok. The power supply fan is *usually* louder than that. The 19db model is so quiet I can't here it. I also have a fanless model for my desktop but I haven't installed it yet. It's huge and requires good ventilation so I wouldn't suggest it for most HTPC cases. It should be ok in something like my Antec Sonata though.

I picked up all of mine as refurbished or on sale. The refurbished ones were about half price and the one I got on sale was about $10 off. There are some good deals if you keep an eye out for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom