HTPC - future proofing for a move to Brazil (1 Viewer)

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Hi All,

I've been reading your threads with interest, and am now posting my proposed system. I am currently living in Singapore where hardware is readily available to me, but will be moving to Brazil, where it will not be available (almost impossible to import it once living there without paying silly money in import tax, bribes etc.)

My proposed system is intended to meet my needs for the next 3-4 years, so I have to get it right while I am here in Singapore. It will be used to draw content from a local file server (MPEG4, MP3, JPEG, TIFF), work as a PVR too and of course display TV from a satellite decoder system in Brazil. Initially I won't have the file server, hence the large HDD size - also, I can fill this case full of SATA drives and not pay duty on them if they are pre-owned, so will use them as spares:

Case: Zalman HD160-XT PLUS Case (Silver) x1
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard (Crossfire) x1
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 775 2.4Ghz CPU x1
Graphics: NVida 8600GT x1
TV-Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 x1
RAM: PC5300 DDR2 1024Mb x4
HDD: Seagate 500Gb Barracuda NCQ 7200.10 (SATA) x4
DVD/CD-ROM: Samsung S183A SATA Black DVD-RW x1
PSU: Zalman ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled 600W Modular PSU x1
Cooling: Zalman CNPS8700 LED CPU Fan x1

Software: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD OEM x1
Media Software: MediaPortal - latest version

EDIT: I'm probably going to be told this is over-spec'd for HTPC, but I don't want to limit myself just to HTPC on this, given I don't know when I will be able to upgrade or replace it, as I don't know what the future uses of it will be. I may be running all sorts of other applications of this one day. I will have 1 desktop PC, but it's a P4 Shuttle XPC from 2003!

Cooling is an issue, as both countries are hot - humidty is also an issue with both countries - short of throwing packets of silica gel in the case, I don't know how to combat this, or if it matters - anyone from countries with 90%+ humidty here? The Zalman case seems to have good airflow though.

Although I am not really into gaming, I might want to play a game on this now and again, displayed on the TV screen - what's the general rule on graphics cards for this?

Also, what is the general consensus on 2 x TV cards or 1 x Dual TV Card? My thoughts were that if one fails the system is still partly usable in Brazil while I await a replacement (or a visitor bringing one)

On software - I woud rather have Windows XP 64-bit, but need to think of the future support. What's the feeling on Vista - is it usable yet, or is it a major pain still? Do I really need the business version, or is the home version ok? From past experience in the work-place, the 'business' version of Windows was always better supported than the 'home' versions'. (Dare I say it here, I considered Linux MCE Software ;) but do still prefer Windows).

I'd appreciate your feedback on these points, or any general comments on the proposed hardware - I will be posting progress on this build here over the next few months. :D

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

I currently use Vista Home premium (32 bit) without problem. MP doesn't really have much support for 64 bit as none of the devs have a copy (that i know of). If you have new hardware, its just as solid as XP. I would recommend upgrading to the 6600 quad core. its not much more expensive, and as more software devs add it, it will make a huge improvement in all sorts of software. For instance, .NET will be supporting it shortly.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Thanks for the feedback - I will certainly have a look at the quad processors. I am still a tad nervous about the leap to Vista, as it reminds me of the move from 3.1 to 95! Still, if it's worth the pain, then it's got to be done.

What did you think of the hardware spec? Any thoughts on the rest of the setup? I am wondering about the PSU and if this is overkill - has anyone come accross a nice AP that calculates power useage based on components drawing power, or is it pencil and paper time for me? I have a feeling that the PSU is over spec'd and will therefore run hotter and less effectively than if I had a small one...

sweden

Portal Member
    January 20, 2006
    i am currently doing some studying before i build a new computer so i am not an expert yet (i've received some good help here), but my comments are the following:

Motherboard: why the deluxe version?
    Processor: i would get a quad because it's not much more expensive and you'll be prepared for the future
    Graphics: get a silent 8800gt or a sapphire 3850 silent or get a cheaper card and add a S1. perhaps the 3850 is better as the board supports crossfire.
    RAM: why get 4x1gb? i'd go with 2x2gb than you have two slots free for later upgrading (if that would be necessary). price is not very different
    HDD: why 4x500gb? i'd go with 2x1tb or perhaps 3x750gb. same reason as above -free slots for future upgrades. look into wd caviar or samsung spin point as they are supposed to be the quietest drives out there.
    PSU: i know nothing about psus. check for power consumption:
    eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

perhaps look into some noctua fans for cooling. they are supposed to be very silent.

good look on the build and your adventures in brazil and don't forget to go to fernando de noronha ;)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ram, would agree 2x2gb, produces less heat and gives more room in case for cooling, especially if you have a big cpu cooler near slots 1&2.

Steer clear of Crucial Ballistix, now on my 3rd set (thank god for lifetime waranty, think i will need it) in just over a year with no overclocking.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Oh, check the motherboard's manufacturer page for approved memory. I have a gigabyte that wouldn't even boot on a pair of generics

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    thanks for the feedback - good point about the RAM, that makes sense. I really don't think I need 4GB anyway, but 2GB sticks would be better.

As for the Duluxe M/B - it was to do with RAID support & the number of SATA drives supported.

As for the HDD's - also a good point. How does the heat buildup compare with larger drives? It was more the point that I want to stuff the machine with HDD's so that when I go to Brazil, it has some spares in it - even if I then take them out after I arrive!

I'll give the PSU calculator a go and see what it says.

As for Fernando de Noronha - I would love to go, as I've heard so many good things about the place. Visitors are limited still I think..

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    With power supplies, just get a big reliable name brand supply. Being over-rated wont cause any problems or cause it to be hotter (and is much better than trying to get too much power out of a unit).

With the hard drives, again I agree with the others. get larger models and less of them. you will use less power and create a lot less heat and still have room for future upgrades. I usually choose Seagate drives as they have a 5 year warrantee compared to the others.

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i would go for a geforce 9600 if they are in the stores any time soon. with the 9600 or the 8600 and a dual core you dont need a psu with more than 300w. most of the games i play on my htpc dont really need a midrange gpu so i would think about what kind of games you play. i mostly play games like worms or risk on my media center. other stuff like strategy or action games is played on my gaming machine where i have decent support for my keyboard an mouse instead of having them wobbling on your legs or something.

the quadcore is imho an overkill. i still use my athlon xp 2200+ in my media center and it still does anything i want it to do (except hd material). in any case i would buy a new 45nm cpu like the e8400 (dualcore) or the q9x50 (well.. the cheapest).

why vista 32bit? afaik vista 64 is as capable as the 32bit version of executing 32bit applications which would include mp or are there known issues with the 64bit version and mp? since even ms doesnt recommend xp-64bit i wouldnt try it. many manufacturers dont even bother writing drivers for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom