Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Country flag
    Is Windows 10 better than Windows 7 regarding these issues? My 7+ year old HTPC seems to have bit the dust last night, so I've begun considering buying a ASUS VivoMini to replace it. It comes with Windows 10 installed.

Emph

redmist

Portal Member
    June 10, 2011
    Home Country
    Is Windows 10 better than Windows 7 regarding these issues?

No, it's the same. The only way I managed to fix this problem was by changing the graphics card from a GTX680 to a GTX980. The pin 19 trick never worked on the 680. It just caused MediaPortal to crash in a slightly more graceful way. Using a HDMI doctor worked 90% of the time but it seems like an expensive fix for what is ultimately a software bug.

I'm not sure if it's a MediaPortal bug or a Direct 3D bug because turning the TV off doesn't cause 2D desktop applications any problems. I also don't understand why the 980 has no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi catavolt, selling this HTPC does not mean that I will no longer be available to the community as a plugin developer. If there are severe problems with the plugins at the moment, I can try to analyze causes and find possible solutions. However, this will currently only have low priority, as I am responsible for employees and...
    Hi catavolt, selling this HTPC does not mean that I will no longer be available to the community as a plugin developer. If there...
    After many years as a MediaPortal supporter and plugin developer I will now have to say goodbye to my beloved HTPC for personal...
    Replies
    Views
    I am still on 1.22 but I had a thought that MediaPortal did not like starting up without a Audio Device available in Windows, even if you later turn on the TV (HDMI audio device becomes available) and play the TV content. So I plugged a set of headphones into the on-board soundcard and Windows enabled the soundcard, I launched MP...
    I am still on 1.22 but I had a thought that MediaPortal did not like starting up without a Audio Device available in Windows, even...
    Hello, I've been using the fantastic MediaPortal for a couple of years without issue. But I needed to reinstall Windows because...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi CyberSimian, I have concluded the same thing. Disabled "Show last active module when resuming" and go to TV after starting up in the Home screen. Would be nice if it could start on TV (if that's where MP was when put to sleep), just like my older Panasonic PVR. But this workaround is reasonable. I will add that sometimes, even...
    Hi CyberSimian, I have concluded the same thing. Disabled "Show last active module when resuming" and go to TV after starting up...
    Hello, I have MP 1.22 freshly installed on a Windows 10 x64, Ver 1903. This was an upgrade from WIndows 10 x32. When I setup the...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as a dedicated opto-electronic calibrator but it's more than adequate for this application and much better than trying to do things by eye (even when the lack of sync is massively obvious, subjective...
    Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as...
    Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks the "invalid...." is a common error but no harm :P (it's when installer wasn't able to copy font to already installed one)
    Thanks the "invalid...." is a common error but no harm :P (it's when installer wasn't able to copy font to already installed one)
    Hi all, I've always had occasional difficulties with MEPO presenting me with a "stopped working" whenever I turn on the TV and...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom